add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Threadripper

ViperSavage
  • 3 months ago

Thoughts on the new Threadripper CPUs? And what about your thoughts/ideas of the 3990x and the newly rumored 3980x? just curious what the community thinks :)

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 3 points

They are the CPU's that the new Mac Pro should have been based on. There's no pretense that they are consumer parts. I'd love to have an excuse to use one in a build.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea I agree with that. They seem fun :p

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

3990X will be 64 cores and the 3980X will be 48 cores. Both will be really good compared to their last gen version.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Now that they've released the price of the 3990x ($4K USD) it's solidified my plans to use the 3970x as the heart of a video editing / gaming build this year. From the benchmarks, it seems to be a good choice for someone who is looking for solid performance in both single-core and multi-core operations. Haven't heard anything about a possible 3980x though.

[comment deleted]
  • 3 months ago
  • 3 points

The "competition" is based on $20k Intel (Xeon) CPUs. However overpriced it may be, it won't be relatively overpriced. It is a relatively good deal if you need most of a server's power, but not all the RAS server-specific stuff. It isn't a good deal at all if a Ryzen 9 (or i9) will get your job done.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube