add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

i7-4770K should I upgrade?

AeroBeast
  • 3 months ago

I built my computer in 2013 and since then I have thrown more ram and a new gpu at it. I'm wondering if it's worth it now to upgrade my cpu as well?

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 3 points

If it still meets your needs then run it into the ground.

If it doesn't meet your needs and you need an upgrade then upgrade.

Upgrading for the sake of upgrading is only going to leave you disappointed in how little you gained for the money spent since your old system did what you needed.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

If you don't have a SSD boot drive, upgrade that first. It's a cheaper, easier upgrade. Upgrading your CPU also requires you replacing your motherboard, probably your RAM, and possibly your cooler. I'd only do it if you upgrade to one with more cores/threads, and you run software that generally totally maxes out the CPU like video rendering software. Otherwise, 4770K is still a great CPU!

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

If it still meets your needs then run it into the ground.

This is important for getting value out of your purchases. Though having a PC last 7 years is still really good. I know as much as anybody how itchy the upgrade itch can be. If the CPU is still doing the job that needs to be done then using it for longer will milk out more value from the 2013 purchase. Would be nice though to have lots of disposable income to dump into upgrades every couple of years but most people just simply do not have that kind of money, myself included.

I had purchased an fx 8320 in 2013 though to be fair I got it super cheap, the same price for the CPU+motherboard as the cost of a basic i3 on its own but it was no longer doing the job it was needed for and was upgraded in 2017.

The advice about a SSD from garg314 is sound too. If you lack a SSD or only have a 120gb one that can't hold any games then getting a 1tb SSD is a good purchase. Best part of it is when you finally upgrade your PC you can simply move said SSD to the new PC. You can fit a decent amount of games on a 1tb SSD.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

The i7-4770K will be a viable CPU for most purposes even now. Unless you can notice definite shortcomings then I'd say it's not worth upgrading.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

While the i7-4770K is old there are many folks still happy with their i7-4790K's and i7-7700K's. The 4770K will handle most workloads of today, including gaming, without breaking sweat. While no longer the top CPU of the day not being the best at something does not equate to bad.

If this is a gaming rig I would upgrade the GPU before the CPU. I imagine a 2013 GPU, even good ones at the time like the GTX 680 or GTX690 (or 780/780TI if you built late 2013) would find some modern titles a hard rendering job at 1080p let alone higher resolution.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

4770K and the 4790K are really the same processor just a refresh.

I still work and game on my 4790K with 0 problems their no reason to upgrade or I would.

Nobody can tell you when it's time to upgrade your the only one. When it no longer performs the way you need it to then upgrade.

My son's PC has my old i5 2500K and a gtx 980 in it for gaming it still performs very well, 144FPS is all the newer games no but all of them are very playable.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube