add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

i7 9700K, i9 9900K, or Ryzen 9 3900X

build2020
  • 5 months ago

Hi, I’m seeking advice about cpu’s. My last build was 2011 with the i7 2600K. This time I thought I’d be OK with the i7 9700K, then I saw the i9 9900K, now I see the Ryzen 9 3900X.

My uses are, I edit and convert raw photos in DxO PhotoLab, using prime NR. A couple of times a year I have a large project and may have many photos waiting in queue to be processed.

I use Photoshop Elements for stills, usually with layers, and Premiere Elements for vids, sometimes Canon’s DPP, and Microsoft’s Image Composite Editor for stitching photos.

After that, no games, just emails, surfing, movies, text docs, etc.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I would say if no gaming, or the 3900x.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

The i9-9900K or Ryzen 9 3900X is a nice step up. While the Ryzen has more cores and benches higher, in many practical applications it will be hard to tell the difference. Overclocking is a nice feature you have with the 9900K while AMD have all but made Overclocking redundant on their platforms. Either way though you cannot go wrong they are both great chips.

My last build was 2011 with the i7 2600K

If you had told me in 2011 that this CPU would still be up to most challenges today in 2020 I would have thought you were nuts.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Right? I wonder if AMD is as durable?

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 5 months ago
  • 1 point

3900X

Any good batches of 9900K chips manufactured over these last few months will have been set aside for the 9900KS.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I've seen many of the benchmarks, hardly knowing what I"m looking at, wondering what real world differences there are in the programs I actually use.

[comment deleted]
  • 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks folks. I'm heading for the Ryzen.

[comment deleted]
  • 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. I was just interested in opinions about the 3 cpu's I listed as they relate to the tasks I listed.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube