add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Highest CPU for my Mobo

slashbrackets
  • 2 months ago

For my mobo I have the Asus ROG STRIX X99 GAMING ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard. And, right now, I have this CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor.

What is the highest CPU that would work with this motherboard?

Thanks

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

There are possibly a couple of variants available but nothing to justify the upgrade in terms of raw performance (not enough perf uplift, or any). Where higher core count optimised workloads may benefit with a little push on 8/10 core alternatives, the cost for the upgrade just doesn't cut it.

The more rewarding upgrade path > newer platform. Judging by your saved parts list, this would entail a simple mobo and cpu swap.

For a more diligent approach, whats the intended use? (gaming/rendering/editing/etc)

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Gaming and software development, and occasional rendering/editing while gaming.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

How much are you willing to spend? Preferably a preferred fixed budget target and then a second figure if you're able to stretch the budget more for some meaningful performance gains.

If you're gaming and running core-hungry workloads at the same time, you might want to consider opting for a higher core count CPU with the likes of a 3900X/etc (on the AMD platform).

Alternatively, if you're happy with the current performance or if it's workable, you might want to consider holding out a little longer for Ryzen 4000 series CPUs (expected in mid-2020 or so) or Intels next GEN arsenal. The i7-6800K for gaming, dev and lesser core-count intensive workloads is a pretty nifty chip. Anything better at this point will see some nice performance improvements but nothing overtly significant. Since your rendering workloads are an "occasional" endeavour, if you're happy with the i7-6800K's performance i'd stick with it. For faster rendering, or lesser time consumed higher core count process, there are some excellent Ryzen options with 12/16 core double threaded chips which will see significant gains (50%+) in faster project completion times.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube