add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Clock Speed or Core Count - Knowing What My Software Likes

Phil3
  • 3 months ago

While staying around the same price point, it appears Intel can excel at clock speeds w/fewer cores while AMD Ryzen can offer an abundance of cores but is not quite as fast. So, it made sense to me to understand what my softwares tend to like. This information is not so easy to find. I use Alibre 3D CAD software and it specifically says high clock speed is most important. Few other softwares make this known. How can I find out? I want to make the CPU choice between Intel and AMD. Softwares I use include the following, of which most I cannot determine if they are clock speed or core count biased.

Adobe Premier Elements (4k video) Adobe Photoshop Elements Quicken Microsoft Office 2013. Mostly Outlook. Will be moving to Office 365.
Google Chrome Alibre Professional 3D CAD. This one likes high clock speed. Keyshot (3D CAD rendering). This one likes LOTS of cores.
Google Chrome and Firefox browsers.

Thanks.

Phil

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point
  • video, rendering - cores. CAD,Photoshop- clock speed.. Microsoft Office- depends. browsers doesnt matter
  • got to evaluate how much time is spent in each of those programs.. spend more time in programs like cad and photoshop than editing/rendering then go with a high clock speed and also the plugs in used for video editing
  • the cost of new pc will be about the same no matter if its an amd or intel cpu. however the upgrade path is very different. in the long run the amd upgrade path looks to be cheaper
  • the single threaded scores between a 3700/3900 and 9700/9900 is only a 5-10% different while multi threaded maybe 50% of intel

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube