add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Why doesn't my mobo support the i7-9700k?

NateDaBeast
  • 3 months ago

I want to upgrade my CPU and pcpartpicker is saying I would need a new motherboard by saying "Asus STRIX Z270-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard and Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor are not compatible."

I can't figure out why even though the sockets are the same.

Any help?

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

While it the same socket, there is a divide. Mainstream Skylake (6xxx, so 6700k for example)) and Mainstream Kabylake (7xxx, 7700k for example) only work on z170 and z270 (and the associated locked motherboard).

Mainstream Coffee lake (8xxx, so 8700k) and CL refresh, so your 9700k requires z370 or newer, so basically, z370 or z390 board for your 9700k.

It is frustrating, but effectively on your motherboard you listed (strix z270-E) the 7700k is the best CPU you can get.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Even though they are the same socket, Intel blocks compatibility with 8th/9th gen CPUs with z170/z270 boards and 6th/7th gen CPUs with z370/z390 boards. My recommendation would be to sell your old motherboard/CPU and getting a newer Z390 board.

There are some people who pulled off getting 8/9 gen CPUS on 6/7 gen boards and vice verca, but it would require heavy BIOS modding and not guaranteed to work. I wouldn’t recommend it.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Just the facts they are compatible in theory but are not compatible because of the BIOS. Their a Chinese company that has boards out that will run all of them and still use DDR3.

Why would I sell you a board you can use for 4 generations without buying a new board from me!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube