add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cpu help.

Grommus
  • 3 months ago

Hi,

My son wants to start streaming his games - fortnite etc.

I've been reading that the 2700x is better at doing it then the newer 3700x because of something to do with windows schedule or something like that haha i have no idea.

If this is true my system is a 2700x would it be the best to pass my system onto him with an updated gpu from what it has now or do I just upgrade him to a 3700x?

Thanks for any and all help.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Strictly for streaming performance the 2700X is better having full use of all its cores.

Outside of streaming in any uses where you are not multi-tasking multiple programs the 3700X has an advantage.

The new Windows scheduler forces the primary use of two cores to alternate workloads until those are full limiting multi-tasking performance for the entire line-up but guaranteeing the best core pairs are always used with light/single usage.

Give and take for the series but at this point you spend almost half and get equivalent or better performance giving He wants to stream.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

my suggestion is to not spend anything on "reported" issues until you start to experience them.. the old saying goes ~if it aint broke

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree the 2700X would be a better choice. The way it reports and is used by Windows is true for the 3XXX processors. Windows is suposed to use the best cores for the work load but the best cores are even reported to windows wrong by the AMD crap. They have problems trying to catch up to Intel performance but did manage to up their performance and add more cores.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

What GPUs? What budget? What builds?

The 2700x is a great CPU, so he may get more mileage out of the mentioned GPU upgrade than an upgrade to the 3700x. Worth noting the NVENC encoder is a good persuasion toward Nvidia for this use case; that would remove most of the extra load off the CPU.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

get an NVIDIA gpu if you want to stream, use the NVENC encoder in OBS

[comment deleted]
  • 3 months ago
  • 0 points

...3700X is better no question.

For streaming it isn't because of the new scheduling style prioritizing 2 pairs of alternating cores for all workloads making the 3700X a 2-core/16-thread CPU essentially.

It's why you don't see all the major tech sources reviewing this new generations streaming performance unlike last generation.

AMD traded a strength to fix a weakness.

You can even push a 3900X into losing frames well the 2700X is still hanging in without a drop.

[comment deleted]
  • 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I though the same till we put a 3600 to the test versus a 2600, 2600 you can fill up all cores, 3600 everything mashes into two sets of cores one per CCX so you cap out cores and hard limit performance earlier.

It benchmarks better for a single program since you have no cross CCX communication latency, but you also don't get actual full use of all the cores when multiple programs are running like when streaming.

It's the inability to make full use of the cores and early hard capping of the two that kills performance in this scenario.

[comment deleted]
  • 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I know that at 4K Ultra nearly all AMD and Intel CPUs bottleneck even with the almighty 2080Ti. Infact it tends to happen even at 1440p(Well maybe not to Core i9 9900K and KS).

That had nothing to do with livestreaming gameplay.

1080p@30fps with recording as is commonly done.

https://techteamgb.co.uk/2019/07/17/streaming-ryzen-3900x-3700x-vs-9900k-2700x/

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

It's very true and the so called best cores it trys to use is even reported wrong making windows not always use the best cores.

[comment deleted]
  • 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I never said that. I stated the facts about the 3xxx series and the 2700x / 2700 would be a better choice for his uses not even considering the lower cost.

I would personally not even consider buying a 3xxx processor.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

It's more a matter of how AMD is using Windows to only select the cores with the best latency to speed to pair communication interfering with a heavy multi-program scenario.

AMD in binning marks the best two cores per CCX fitting the above requirements, Windows prioritizes the use of those cores as they are the default fastest across all workloads.

Some information on what they did here.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15137/amd-clarifies-best-cores-vs-preferred-cores

When you multi-task heavily like streaming both the game title and streaming software will have threads running on the same core pair limiting performance faster then it would on the older models which will communicate across the CCX with higher latency but allow all cores to be loaded to their max.

The new scheduling fix allows more performance in any single workload at the cost of multiple workload performance capping out the preferred cores sooner, and the more workloads applied the sooner the cores hit hard cap, well the older model isn't as limited and can use more of its resources.

A trade off that wouldn't effect most but this is one of those it effects.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube