add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Do you guys use discontinued CPUS?

tintala
  • 2 months ago

I'm looking at upgrading my MB to an ASUS PRIME X299-DELUXE II , but it appears the options for CPUs are very limited. I was thinking about getting an Intel Core i7-7740x 4.3GHZ CPU but says it's discontinued. Are there disadvantages to this?

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

Is there a particular reason you are looking at this platform?

You'll probably get more bang out of a Ryzen 3000 CPU on X570 or B450 MAX at this budget range.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes, you can get x299 board for really cheap on ebay. There have been reports of retailers not being able to sell off the old x299 stock.

The Core i7-7740x is basically a Core i7-7700k that Intel slapped on to a Socket 2066 PCB. Not many people know why it existed. The worse part is the 7740x doesn't have any of the HEDT benefits like increased PCI-E lanes or quad-channel memory. The 7740x, like the 7700k has x16 PCI-E lanes and it only handles dual-channel memory. You would be better off trying to hunt down a used z370 motherboard and a used 8700k, as opposed to

You'd have to get a Core i7-7800x or 7820x if you want some of the HEDT benefits like quad-channel memory. However it's impossible to justify buying an i7-7800x because the Ryzen 7 3700x and a compatible motherboard are going to end up being a better deal.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

It depends on how much you can get them for, unfortunately what tends to happen due to price gouging 3rd party sellers is that older/discontinued parts are not cheap enough vs new/current gen parts to be a worthwhile option. At least that's been my experience when looking around at older parts.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

i7-7740x - discontinued. I don't believe you're going to find these at a reasonable cost even opting for the used market.

There are alternative higher core count options available for this platform, whether it's worth investing in these entirely depends on your intended workload.

How much were you looking to spend?

Workload type?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, everyone! Live Ammo - My workload is heavy music production, mixing and mastering with some graphic design and throw in some video editing. I really don't know what to spend, I haven't upgraded my PC in 5 yrs. so I am ignorant as to price > upgrading to quality components ratio. My budget for the whole upgrade, including new MB: Asus x299 Deluxe or deluxe ii. used one goes for 150 ish. so 600-700$.. CPUs for these are very spendy as far as I can tell. that's why I was looking at the i7 7740x discontinued. I really have no idea what to do for the CPU . but I need it to carry heavy loads. I have very little tech experience in this field. thank you.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Apologies for the delay.

Taking the above into account (budget & workload), you'll be better off grabbing a 8-core/12-thread Ryzen 3700X which beats the discontinued i7 7740x by a long shot. Essentially, greater compute resources for core-count/multi-thread intensive audio production/video rendering workloads. Depending on what else the $700 budget entails (or possible wiggle room), you might be able to squeeze in a 12c/24t Ryzen 3900X.

Before suggesting a recommended parts list:

1. Can i see what you are upgrading from? A fully specced-up parts list would help.

2. Is that $700 for the CPU and MOBO only, with additional funds directed elsewhere (RAM/PSU/STORAGE/etc)? Or are you looking to upgrade with a fully compatible build within the $700 mark.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

What programs do you use exactly? Most likely you would be better off on TR4 or AM4 instead of X299.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

The i7-7740X was quite a bad CPU when it was releases since it was basically a slower i7 7700K that used more power iirc and it was also more expensive. Unless you can get it for like $50 or something and the board for like ~$50 or something I can't see any reason to get this. A 1600 AF is $85 brand new and is 6 cores and will run circles around it in heavily multithreaded applications and will likely match/beat it in most other tasks and you can get B450 boards for it for like $60. That is like $145 in total for brand new parts, well below your budget. If can spend $600-$700 you can do so much better than the i7 7740x that it is not even funny.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Nothing wrong with using it performance wise. The issue is that older CPU's don't go down in price much at all unless you have a friend giving it to you real cheap... So it is generally not worth it at all since you can buy Current gen CPU's for a similar price or sometimes even cheaper.

For example, Amazon is listing that CPU from a third party for $750 which is just plain stupid..

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube