add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Some advice on CPU suggestions

jonnyg1097
  • 4 months ago

So I currently use a i5-6600k (with gigabyte z170-HD3-CF and MSI 1070) and as I start looking at the specs of new games that are starting to be released this year I notice that my CPU is starting to show its age.

Would it make sense at this point to upgrade my CPU or perhaps just upgrade the machine completely? It isnt a case about money at this point I just want to know what would be the best bag for my buck at this point.

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Best bang for you buck is going to be running that 6600K until it no longer does what you need it to.

Otherwise your just wasting money already spent.

Recommended specs are put out well before the game launches or is polished and optimized so don't actually apply to the end product.

Its always best to ignore them until benchmarks are available.

Looking at upgrading path.

Intel's platform is dead ended now, with a new platform for the next two generations coming sometime this year.

AMD's dead ends this year with a new platform launching next year.

Anything you buy now is already going to be outdated before you need to update on a current platform which really limits longevity for upgrading so it can safely be ignored.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point
  • pc being that old would sell/give it and update...
  • which platform depends
  • going intel-- 9000 series .. limited upgrades, plus continuing upgrade tax with the 10000 series and the split sockets
  • amd not on par with intel but only lagging 5% behind on single threaded gaming. more freedom and cheaper upgrade paths. with am4 can have 3000 cpu to 4000 cpu with just a cpu swap
  • imo AMD platform is best bang for the buck for the next few years
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $327.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $79.98 @ Amazon
Memory OLOy 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $119.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $527.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-12 12:49 EST-0500

Little over $500 nets this.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I just want to know what would be the best bag for my buck at this point.

If you get your hands on those new titles and that setup doesn't run satisfactory, then you could potentially consider to make an upgrade or even a major overhaul. :)

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

i'd probably hold off for next gen unless you have a serious itch to upgrade and have the $ for it. by the end of 2021 we will have ddr5 and who knows what from intel and AMD.

this is coming from someone who just upgraded their entire PC from the fx series/ddr3 platform back in november.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube