add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First time putting a computer together!!

KnottedBitthair
  • 2 months ago

Hey there so this is my first build and I have all the parts en-route. In the meantime I was just was wondering if there is anything I should do when putting this thing together, or anything I need to to do when I first boot it up, as this is my first time ever putting a computer together. Thanks!

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor $194.99 @ Newegg Canada
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.99 @ Amazon Canada
Motherboard Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard $189.50 @ Vuugo
Memory G.Skill Flare X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $98.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $139.99 @ Newegg Canada
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card $539.99 @ Newegg Canada
Case Deepcool E-Shield ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ Canada Computers
Power Supply Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $94.98 @ Amazon Canada
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $129.75 @ Vuugo
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1468.17
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-17 20:04 EST-0500

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Hey man!

"Is anything I should do when putting this thing together?"

• Actually read the mobo manual, things like RAM locations and other little things you would otherwise overlook. Lame and boring but worth it, especially with troubleshooting.
  • Have a clean area that's static free, (how far you go with this is up to you - the best course of action is to ground yourself with an anti-static strap - google this to see the raging debate, but ESD is real).
  • Make sure you firmly seat your power cables, RAM and GPU, it's a decent push and a satisfying click for RAM, and to a lesser extent the GPU. Most hardware issues on new builds start here.
  • Give yourself time and permission to try different setups. Don't rush

"Anything I need to to do when I first boot it up"

• Check everything is present in the BIOS and set boot order.
  • Then it's just OS and drivers.
  • Set XMP and other performance settings later when you know you have a good base to boot from. Advance one setting at a time and if you have issues, dial it back... Or click auto everything, claim you have the ultimate solid OC and never look back, up to you. ha
  • 2 months ago
  • 2 points

awesome ty ill look up some videos on youtube!!

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

any specific order you would suggest putting to together in? to avoid having to take it apart to make something fit, or just make the build go easier?

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

PSU usually goes in first, and then you can lay the mobo in place to get an idea of what cables should run where. Then, a typical build would mount CPU, cooler, RAM, m.2 drives on the mobo, install the mobo in the case, and hook everything else up. Take a good look first, though, sometimes you have to change the order around (for instance, if the CPU cooler makes a necessary header inaccessible when the mobo is in the case, then you might have to mount the cooler as a later step.)

Another thing I've advised first time builders is that when you are done, don't plug it in, walk away and do something else for an hour or two. Or overnight. Then come back, re-check all the cables, and make sure you didn't miss anything. A double check when fresh can save you some hassle if a cable wasn't plugged in or something like that.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

should I install the fans in the case first before I install the MOBO?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

That depends on the case. I'd say generally yes, unless the case is so tight the fans are in the way. The only case I've had this happen though was the DIYPC MA01 which is a bargain basement micro-ATX case, nothing like the one you're using.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah judging by the dimensions it doesn't look like it will be a problem, I figured that was probably the best way to go about it doesn't hurt to ask though. Ty!!

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

What unicykle said. Take youre time, if you rush there's a greater chance of missing something or messing something up. Make sure ALL connections are in place and firmly seated NOT forced.

Good Luck.....

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Alot of tech youtubers put the psu on the table plug it in and turn it on then touch the top casing to remove static from yourself , also install as much as possible on the motherboard first before installing into the case

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

touch the top of the psu while its on?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

yes, the outside is grounded so it removes any static charge

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

You did not need an X570 Mobo for 2nd Gen Ryzen.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I plan on using this computer for a very long time and wanted it to have room to improve down the line

[comment deleted]
  • 2 months ago
  • 1 point

by the end of the year, the 600 series are expected!

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

and that's when I upgrade to 3rd gen ryzen cuz prices will drop like hell

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

oh well its my first build, if thats my worst mistake ill take it lol

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

3 compatibility notes for that build. That doesn't bother you?

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

The Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.

Usually not an issue if not overclocking the CPU.

Note:The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard.

Looks like they are now ready for the AM4 socket.

Note:Some physical dimension restrictions cannot (yet) be automatically checked, such as cpu cooler / RAM clearance with modules using tall heat spreaders.

This is a normal warning, and the RAM isn't very tall, nor is the cooler that beefy.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah thats what I figured out after asking around lol

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

cant rely on that completely it isnt always accurate or matter

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube