add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Please help a “noob”!

ghostbiggie
  • 4 months ago

TLdr; I have been given a graphics card and would like help picking a cpu to maximise potential

So I’m building a cheap PC to play some games from my childhood after discovering GOG.com a few years ago. I was going to buy a pre built one but decided to do a little budget project. Originally I was going to use a CPU w/ integrated graphics because I really don’t require anything more serious.

However, I told my friend and he gave me a graphics card https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/rcw323/msi-video-card-n680gtxlightning and I would like to know if anyone knows what CPU would compliment this best. I was considering the very cheap Ryzen 3 1200 but I don’t know if that would make the most of it? I know the gpu is old but I don’t know what sort of bottlenecks it would come across.

I was also maybe planning on leaving room for some updates in future. Perhaps even getting 16gb 3200 Corsair RAM over 8gb of 3000, a 500w power supply over 350, a ~500gb nvme m.2 ssd as well as a 2tb hdd. I forgot to mention I also got a deepcool case from my brother.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Oh yeah the Ryzen 3 1200 would handle that GPU and then some.

I hate to do this but will. In the bargain basement of CPU's, you must consider the Ryzen 5 1600 as a possibility. For the price, 6 very good cores and 12 very good threads. It is a modern CPU with all the bells and whistles less integrated graphics. The b350/x370 motherboards are not horribly priced. Get that 16GB Corsair RAM and then with the GTX 680 you have a very game worthy PC - from GOG titles all the way to modern AAA's running pretty much at 60Hz at 1080p save one or two.

Well worth a thought.

But yes the Ryzen 3 1200 will not break sweat on most games.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MNSP7PB/?coliid=I65VL2HO74D44&colid=2EL64B3ANL7J7&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it I was going to get this motherboard, but just read a review about that overheating with a more powerful CPU. The ryzen 3 1200 is £47, 5 1600 is £90. That motherboard being around ~£40. Do you know of a decent motherboard that would be around £60? I think I could settle for £150 on motherboard and cpu, £70 on ram, and somewhere between £100-150 on storage (m.2 nvme ssd And a hdd). I think if I can keep everything under £500 I would be happy. I have a £50 psu earmarked. I’m going to look in the second hand market for a display, and maybe mouse and keyboard too, or i’ll Just get standard cheaper ones.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Or even the 1600 AF for a bit more, if you can find one.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/478826/amd-ryzen-5-1600-32ghz-6-core-am4-boxed-processor-with-wraith-spire-cooler

Very recommended at that price!

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

That's the old "AE" model not the "AF".

Have to be careful some of the retailers are taking the chance to unload old models with the hype over "AF".

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I would’ve fallen for that hook line and sinker, I can’t get it anyway as I’m based in the UK! Thank you both though!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Yup little bit of a difference between them.

Looking at the product code.

"AF" 2600 that apparently uses a first generation memory controller so expect similar early Ryzen RAM issues, but second generation performance, do note it comes with the worse Stealth cooler.

"AE" normal 1600 with the Spire cooler.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

The 680 is similar to a 1650, which is also worse than a RX 570, so a 1200 should work good.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube