add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

More Than One Fan

Tatertotsz
  • 2 months ago

I currently only have one fan for my planned build. The case I am using does not come with any, and it is a Mid-ATX case. Will one fan be fine for at least a few weeks?

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, as long as you have it on the front for intake air

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Good to know. Thanks!

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

If the build is the one in your profile skip the thermal paste and get another fan.

His answer yes is not even close depending on the parts used, could be could not be.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

The case he got has plenty of open airflow at the front, for 1 fan to hold him over for a week or two until he gets some more.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the input. I'm trying to iron out all the kinks in the build before I buy it, so that way I won't have a ton of issues down the road.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Once upon a time in the magical land of MakeItWork, some shadow guy had a horrible budget case with no cable management and a single front intake fan at the bottom behind some fairly dense mesh.

So this poor sod, while regretting his impulse buy case, decided to just rip both side panels off and call it a day.

It wasn't pretty, but it worked. Temps were excellent even after overclocking, as the case was turned essentially into an open air bench. It ran for years like this.

Some say that case is still laying somewhere, side panels scattered to the four corners of the house, half a system still inside.

The moral of the story? If your temps are bad, rip the side panel off for a while and see if they get better with open air. You can add more case fans later.

Also worth noting the Kryonaut is a waste of money unless you have a really good cooler with really bad thermal paste or are repasting a good cooler.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the story, as it has enlightened me to a bit without the issue of buying without all the info. For the thermal paste, what would you recommend? I just head that Kryonaut was good, but I am looking to reduce price in any way possible.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Kryonaut is excellent, but generally speaking stock paste is fine. The $10 spent on Kryonaut is generally better spent on a cooler; for example, a Gammax 400 is $20 and significantly better than Ryzen's Prism cooler.

Or, it can go toward a better case/more fans etc. The difference between most $40 or lower cases from like DIYPC etc vs something like the Neo Air or P400A digital etc is pretty substantial.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Will it work? Yes. Ideal? Nope. You can pick up a 120mm fan for ~$5.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I found these to be a fair deal, picked up a pack of 140's, as you can connect them alltogether with one port, if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=arctic+pst&rh=n%3A193870011&ref=is_s

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube