add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
celowe11
  • 4 months ago

Heya folks,

First time poster, but I'm saving up for what will likely be an enthusiast build (~$3k) for gaming and potentially some minor image editing/video editing. I don't need help picking parts per se, but I was wondering...

Since I'm buying parts piece by piece and as I come into the money to afford them, is there any logic behind what I should purchase first? I just wondered because it will likely be over a 3-month to 6-month time period and I know prices fluctuate a bit. My thought was to buy, at very least, the GPU/CPU last.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

you generally want to buy the parts together to get it running at a minimum. Otherwise you buy the gpu/cpu last, and find out you have a defective motherboard for example, but are now 6 months past the return policy of the store and instead have to deal with the manufacturer for an RMA. Much easier to do a return directly with the store if it isn't working. Also, if you wait 6 months, you are more likely to be paying less for the same part, or just get a better part for the same price anyway.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I had that thought as well, but thanks for reinforcing it. I'll just save the money up and buy the parts when I am ready for everything.

Thanks again!

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

This is youre best bet. Good luck.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube