add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

2700x vs 3800x

kloaf11
  • 4 months ago

I say 3800x instead of 3700x because right now on multiple sources it's like $25ish dollars more. but if you think it's not justified for that $25 I would love that opinion.

I would be running many processes at once. Streaming. Multiple games. Rendering videos. watching videos in the background. SQL tasks in the background. Running programming test code. I multitask a lot. would the difference between gen 2 and gen 3 be noticeable?

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 3 points

3700X over 3800X and use the money saved, even if $25, on a nice meal. The difference between both CPU's is trivial.

would the difference between gen 2 and gen 3 be noticeable?

Not necessarily for most applications. Matlab or a C++ simulation going full tilt on one thread with multiply accumulate operations you may notice a slight difference in execution time with the faster core of a 3800X. Deal breaker/maker? Depends. Applications utilizing numerous cores/threads, margins break closer towards parity, slight edge to 3800X. Hard to quantify this aspect. For some folks if an application runs one microsecond faster it is a game changer, for others one microsecond is what it is, a unit of time that ostensibly is trivial.

Gaming, unless you have a fast refresh rate monitor you will not notice the difference. If you have a 60-144Hz monitor, the 3800X moving around more frames wont matter because you wont see 'em.

Still I advise getting newer CPU over older even if more expensive. I do not go to the car lot if I have a 2020 328i in mind and then drive away with a 2015 328i even if both vehicles are quite close in performance.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm going to be honest the car analogy is lost on me because if they offered me a five year old car for less than half the cost. with low mileage and the same performance. I would take that cause it should last as long.

But back to the CPU. You advise me to save $25 on the 3700X vs the 3800X. But then say that a twice the price processor is better even if it's a small performance increase. I mean I know most of the advantages of 3rd gen vs second gen. 2700 TDP is quite a bit higher. It has lower memory cache than the 3700x. I am moreso asking opinions than anything else. I do appreciate the answer.

So another questions as a follow-up. b450,x470 or x570 and why with in mind depending on performance when it comes out later in the year buy a 4th gen depending on how improved it is or isn't. If it's a small improvement I won't if it's a larger performance I might. Feel free to recommend a board or just chipset if you'd like. I do have minimums with rams and ssds/hdd slots to keep in mind but I'm open to looking at stuff.

• 4 months ago
  • 3 points

You advise me to save $25 on the 3700X vs the 3800X. But then say that a twice the price processor is better even if it's a small performance increase.

It's not about money. Get newer. As for 3700X vs 3800X you cant control the silicon on the chips. There are individual benches where a 3700X beats the 3800X and of course vice versa. They are both pretty similar. With both being lousy overclockers and hard to seperate in terms of real world results it hard to recommend the 3800X as an exclusive purchase.

If you went with a good X570 mobo and 3700X and 16GB Ram you have a killer PC. Add in a decent GPU and it will be a while before you will want to upgrade. Nevermind too much that technology advances, there is always something better coming out, always something better out there. If you research the 3700X and it ticks all your boxes, go for it. If you want to spend the extra $25 on the 3800X go for that if you want. If we were to play a game like - "name me as many CPU's as you can that are better than the 3700X" the game will last less than 3 seconds. Not many CPU's better than 3700X, certainly none in it's budget range.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

That puts it in a more reasonable opinion. I do like your opinion that something new is always around the corner. It's the antithesis of the other comments and the other half of what's been on my mind. I do appreciate it.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

would the difference between gen 2 and gen 3 be noticeable?

No with how 3rd gen must schedule to avoid poor cores being overused they are not an upgrade for heavier multitasking.

I wouldn't bother at this point with any of them, get a good board, and get a used 1700/1700X/1800X/2700/2700X to hold you over save for a 4th gen when it launches later this year.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I appreciate the response thank you. I was thinking that about 4th gen coming out this year. for mobo in mind that I might be getting a 4th gen if it's a reasonably priced upgrade for performance. Would you go with b450, x470 or x570? Feel free to recommend a board or just chipset if you'd like. I do have minimums with rams and ssds/hdd slots to keep in mind but I'm open to looking at stuff.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

At this point X570 isn't much more then good B450 and offers better quality and features.

Asus and Gigabyte both offer solid cheaper options.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Some of the uplift is hard to quantify in this case and will depend on the programs used and workflow. CPU streaming is an interesting case as some testing shows the 2700x matching or beating the 3700x, but the difference can be a moot point if you use the NVENC encoder of a modern Nvidia GPU. Compression/decompression work shows huge uplift on Ryzen 3000. Many other workloads are between 10-20%, but due to differences in core validation and scheduling the gap would probably shrink as you do more at once.

Then the question becomes: is that uplift worth almost double the cost? That's a little trickier. The difference is noticeable, but you can also look toward 2700x plus a later upgrade to 4000 series with that savings, for example.

3800x vs 3700x there is almost no difference even in synthetic testing. A 3700x+$20 cooler is a better option than a 3800x.

Either route could be justified, but I think the value the 2700x presents (or even a used first gen Ryzen 7) is hard to pass up. With a decent motherboard, such as the X570 Asus Tuf for around $170, upgrading shouldn't be an issue with the quite strong VRM. You could even get along just fine with a $115 Tomahawk Max, but I'd prefer the stronger VRM on the Tuf.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I appreciate the opinion. Really sound advice and very detailed. It was awesome. I was thinking about maybe 2700 into a 4000 series cpu depending on the performance increase. Atleast 2 people recommended that route and makes me feel like it's worth it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube