add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Performance Estimating

SwanTheGod
  • 3 months ago

Im newer to the PC building game, I’ve owned a couple gaming PCs, but I was wondering if there was any way to estimate a builds performance before obviously purchasing the parts and live testing it.

Any responses are greatly appreciated

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Research.... pcpp is a great place to start. Look at completed builds with the parts you have in mind and look at the timeframe of those builds with said parts. Maybe browse the troublshooting threads and see what works and what doesnt as well. I would be more concerned about function and performance secondary. ie- a $550 board doesnt work because the ram is junk- the computer keeps browning out because the system is stressing a junky psu too much. Just some ideas. Good luck.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

You would have to go through benchmarks mostly and compare that way. Your GPU being the main driver to game performance followed by the CPU. Be sure to consider the resolution / refresh rate as that will have a big impact. Most are at 1080p 60Hz but enthusiasts are higher at 2k or 4k resolution and 144Hz etc. which takes significantly more horsepower.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Read cpu & gpu reviews, I like techpowerup, & youtube videos, I like the gamers nexus channel and if you search y/t for a cpu & gpu combination you will usually find videos with fps data.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube