add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
XXX_BillTube_XXX
  • 2 months ago

I cannot believe I am saying this, but X58, a ten-year-old platform, still holds up very well to modern CPUs. The 980X, a ten-year-old CPU, has around 70% of the performance of an 8700K, a three-year-old CPU. There has only been a 42% increase in performance in the last 7 years. Given that you can buy 980Xs for very cheap prices, X58 still seems like a great option for cheap PC enthusiasts. I am genuinely shocked that a ten-year-old platform can still hold up very well to certain tasks.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd have to say, it's an interesting take. I don't know where you got your numbers, so I can't speak to that. The performance of modern CPUs is so far past the bare minimum that most users need (meaning home users and probably many business users - so not AAA gaming and rendering/editing/virtualization/compiling/etc. use, but web browsing and editing text documents). I could see a basic home use build working well enough with a lightweight OS.

The main problem I can see is OS support. I'm not sure how well Windows 10 would run on an X58 board. While I'm sure you could get Linux or another OS running on it, many people are pretty attached to Windows and running Windows 7 is perhaps not the best idea anymore. The other concern would probably be availability of spare parts.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Probably referring to some of the YouTube video's like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUqLXYFjdTE

Which show just how capable the older platforms still are.

The main problem I can see is OS support. I'm not sure how well Windows 10 would run on an X58 board. While I'm sure you could get Linux or another OS running on it, many people are pretty attached to Windows and running Windows 7 is perhaps not the best idea anymore.

Win10 runs just fine on older platforms with the same limitations as current ones like don't bother trying to install on a hard disk.

The other concern would probably be availability of spare parts.

Not really all that much of an issue for used/refurbished/remanufactured, several Chinese companies have been refurbing and selling off the platform, and used/refurbished systems are dirt cheap these days.

About the only major issue the older platform faces is if you have a transferable Windows license with how cheap the first and second generation Ryzen parts are on the used market although they are a little more high risk as many have been pushed to hard for too long and are on their last legs or outright dying.

RAM and motherboards for Ryzen is also rough to get cheap/used so you may not save all that much over a new build at a higher risk for failure.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube