add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

is the 85 dollar afbox cpu compatible

ikeeyigsys5575
  • 1 month ago

I recently noticed that the Ryzen 5 1600AF variant appeared on Amazon for 85, and I've read that only some motherboards are compatible with it. Can somebody tell me if the Asrock B450/AC board is compatible with it?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

In theory but giving its now well over $100 with shipping just spend the extra $1 and get a 2600 that doesn't need to be shipped from the U.K.

Then your motherboard options are much easier to work with since that model is actually acknowledged and supported by AMD and motherboard vendors.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

If that board comes with a bios that supports a 2nd gen. processor out of the box, then it should recognize the 1600AF just fine.

Also AMD stated that all boards manufactured since 2018 have been shipped with 2nd gen. support.

So yeah, logically that board should run with that processor out of the Box.

The R1600AF is just a R2600 12nm processor (so a 2nd gen. processor) with slightly reduced clocks.

Also to notice the cooler has been downgraded from the Wraith Spire of the R1600AE to the Wraith Stealth for the R1600AF

...appeared on Amazon for $85

The price should be higher by now. So at the end, you could very well switch to the R2600.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

That will work fine. The ones people are wondering about are the older 300 series motherboards like the A320, B350 and X370. As I understand it from a forum post I saw, that is why Parts Picker has not add the Ryzen 1600 AF to their list yet.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

the R5 1600 AF is a lower clocked R5 2600 and is a 12nm CPU

so any board with Ryzen 2xxx support will work with the 1600 AF

the microcode on the CPU will be recognized by the mobo's BIOS.

CPU-Z will show its a 12nm CPU

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube