add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

To paste or not to paste, that is the question?

stupot62
  • 1 month ago

I'll be doing a new build soon using an i7-9700k 3.6Ghz 8 core on an ASUS ROG Maximus Hero MB and using a Fractal Design Celsius S24 AIO cooler. The cooler will come with some pre-applied thermal paste but would you replace this with some other type of paste or will this suffice? If I were to replace the pre-applied paste, what would you recommend.

Comments welcome.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

There is really no need to replace (or repaste) it.

But if for whatever reason you really want to replace the pre-applied paste Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut or Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme are i think one of the best you can use.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I would take the time to look at the below video, that explains pretty much everything that you should know about the thermal paste.

Der8auer Deep-Dives on Thermal Paste: Misconceptions, Curing, & More

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

There really isn't a reason to repaste it, as the paste should do you just fine. If you want to repaste it, I would go with this: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6RrG3C/arctic-silver-thermal-paste-as535g This stuff is cheap and works well to keep CPU temps down by a couple of degrees.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Their so little difference in any of the paste their no reason to.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Personally, I like to use fresh paste rather than the pre-applied stuff that sometimes looks like it’s going a bit dry. I don’t think that there’s any real difference between brands – I’ve got a few tubes of various brands sitting in a drawer. They’ll probably last me several decades at my current rate of use!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks to everyone who has commented on my query. The reason I asked is that I am concerned that I would put too much paste, which is just as bad as too little paste on. Whereas, the pre-applied paste should be the correct amount, I hope.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube