add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Unusual Windows Boot Behavior -- Any Ideas?

jdupton
  • 3 months ago

I am still experiencing some problems with booting Windows on my newly built PC. I think is is likely a driver or Windows configuration problem but will include HW info anyway.Here is my parts list: PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor Purchased For $749.00
CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken X52 Rev 2 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Purchased For $128.70
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard Purchased For $279.99
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Royal 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory Purchased For $399.99
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive Purchased For $179.98
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive Purchased For $179.98
Storage Western Digital Blue 6 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $139.99
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card Purchased For $209.99
Case Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $129.99
Power Supply Corsair HX Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $196.70
Optical Drive LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer Purchased For $56.99
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 32/64-bit Purchased For $199.99
Keyboard Logitech K800 Wireless Slim Keyboard Purchased For $60.99
Mouse Logitech M310 Wireless Laser Mouse Purchased For $14.99
Speakers Logitech Z200 0 nW 2.0 Channel Speakers Purchased For $20.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2947.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-05 19:16 EST-0500

I previously had a problem with Windows booting at all but think that has been solved. This current problem has completely different symptoms but could be somehow related. See the other thread here for background. https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/340952-help-with-unreliable-windows-boot-on-new-build

= = = = = = = = = = = =

Now to the current very puzzling issue. Windows is showing a very predictable (but unusual) boot issue. It seems to have two modes of operation.

• Mode 1: If booted from UEFI screen, or restarted from within Windows or is the first boot after using a different boot source, the display screen stays dark / blank. In other words, this mode happens on a "Normal Boot" only. After 60 seconds, I can press the power button momentarily and the screen lights up with the Login Screen immediately. At that point everything works as expected.

• Mode 2: if booted with "Fast Startup Boot" active, the system boots immediately and very reliably to the login screen. Everything works as expected. (Hybrid sleep / shutdown is in effect.)

The difference seems to be that a Fast Boot always works, whereas a normal slow boot always results in a black display. After waiting for 60+ seconds, a momentary press of the power button brings up the login screen and everything then works as expected.

I have UEFI set to boot on Fast mode except following a failure where normal startup is set.

I have done a clean boot (disabling all 3rd party drivers and processes) and the behavior is the same.

I have enabled the boot logging in Windows and the log looks mostly normal although there are references to "Not Loaded: dxgkrnl.sys" in the log. This is shown several times in the boot log.

I have looked for errors in the windows system logs and only found errors related to the Intel WiFi driver failing with a 5 GHz signal. My local Home WiFi uses only 2.4 GHz, so I disabled the 5 GHz in the WiFi driver and now no issues are reported in the system log during boot. It is clean.

The symptoms of a 60 second delay before any pressing the power button sounds like a HW timeout during boot but with nothing being flagged, I am at a loss as to what might be timing out.

Prior to the 60 second period, pressing the power button momentarily does nothing. It almost seems like Windows is waiting for something an gives up then somehow goes to sleep waiting for a power button press. It is not actually sleeping, however. Pressing keys on the keyboard has no effect -- only pressing the power button. In addition, the system is not actually sleeping as power usage is unchanged (measured at the power cord) and all fans, lighting and other functions are active.

My only guess so far has been an error or timeout in the display driver. However, the MSI Updater says the driver is the latest available. In fact all other drivers have been checked and are said to be latest / correct version.

Any ideas for what to check next? The system works fine and the PC runs like a Formula One Race Car. While it can boot windows every time now, it is annoying that this timeout happens when I need to use a "Normal Slow Startup" boot such as after a Windows Update Restart.

John

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

can i know what BIOS revision are you on?

looking at Version 7010 upwards. It says Improve PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD compatibility

Version 1405 ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING BIOS 1405 Improve system performance.

on the SSD website

there is a software to download for it

SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-500-SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-1TB-SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-2TB-SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-HTSK-500-SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-HTSK-1TB-SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-HTSK-2TB

you might want to try and see what it does, maybe you are missing drivers since this is a PCI-E 4.0 product or some firmware update

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the response. I had not given firmware much thought with respect to this problem.

The Motherboard Firmware is at level 1105. I have downloaded 1405 but have been reluctant to flash it since anything over 1404 cannot be downgraded back to a previous version. Updating to 1405 will be a last resort in my mind. A number of users have reported problems with 1405 so this was a low priority for me. I need to weigh the risks of upgrading as a trial to fix this boot problem versus upgrading and having new problems with no resort to downgrade back to a known working level.

I have not looked at the Sabrent Firmware. I will download their Control Panel Software which can check and upgrade Firmware if needed.

John

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

gotcha update me if anything is wrong or ok

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

The Sabrent Utility shows both drives are at the latest firmware level.

I plan to hold the option of updating ASUS Motherboard Firmware in reserve for now due to the reasons cited above.

Any other suggestions are welcome...

By the way, the boot behavior is the only thing I have noted that seems to have an issue. The system performs perfectly and I can put it to sleep and wake it with mouse movement or keyboard press without fail. It fast boots without fail also. It is only the blank display and 60 second timeout after doing a normal boot that is bugging me.

John

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

how about the 2nd most latest BIOS?

worth a try and prob disable any power saving feature in the BIOS

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

That is a reasonable thing to try. It may not happen tonight but I will try flashing MB FW up to 1201 level and see if that changes things any.

John

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

After flashing ASUS BIOS up to level 1201, the problem persists.

Everything else works as before. When a Fast Boot of Windows is done, the system is ready immediately. When a Normal (slow) Boot of Windows is performed, the screen remains black but will come to life if the power button is momentarily pressed after waiting for 60+ seconds.

Any other ideas? Are there other tools to try to get more information about what may be going on during the 60 second delay period?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I also out of ideas as well. Prob play around with the boot sequence. Disable any unused device

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

OK, I now have more information and a lead to a better area to diagnose.

My son sent me a few suggestions. One of them was try the hot-key combination "WinLogo+Ctrl+Shift+B". This is said to force windows to recreate the desktop according to Microsoft. (Other non-Microsoft sources claim it essentially restarts the video device driver.)

Whatever the actual action under the covers, it works to show the Windows Login screen after booting using a "normal (slow) Windows boot" without having to wait 60 seconds.

I think that narrows the issue to the video card device driver. Both Windows itself and the MSI Driver Checker say I have the latest version available. It is new as it was released 12/24/2019.

Knowing the issue is very likely a device driver problem and not necessarily hardware, I will continue trying to get it to work properly for both Fast Boot and Normal Boot modes. I may try removing the driver and loading an older level to see if that changes the symptoms.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube