add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Blue Screen of death after GPU upgrade

DanielNiven
  • 1 month ago

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4 GHz Quad-Core Processor £310.00 @ Amazon UK
CPU Cooler be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler £19.49 @ Aria PC
Motherboard Asus Z170-K ATX LGA1151 Motherboard -
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2133 Memory £63.48 @ Amazon UK
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £69.59 @ Amazon UK
Storage Toshiba 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £59.99 @ AWD-IT
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card £349.99 @ Amazon UK
Case Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case £54.98 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply Corsair Builder 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply -
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit -
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £927.52
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-06 22:18 GMT+0000

I honestly don’t know if the new GPU card is linked to the blue screen of death. But I did manage to get 6 hours with the new card. Thereafter, I’ve been getting endless blue screens containing many different messages like Service Exception errors, Driver overran stack buffer and Page fault not in paged area. It seems these messages are randomised.

The fans are working. The CPU fan is running at 500-700 RPM when idling. What I think it may be is the fact that beforehand, my CPU had been overclocked. But after getting these issues, it’s changed nothing. The CPU is getting 1.245v. Which is normal.

I’m having a great difficulty getting into the windows boot manager too. I keep on getting blue screened there. I tried installing the OS on new drive, and it just sits in setting up. No progress. I tried uninstalling the operating system - and it doesn’t seem to like that either. Safe mode doesn’t work.

I’ve took graphics card out and booted up pc. It’s not changed anything. I don’t know if the PC is being starved of it’s power, but I have tried resetting my bios settings to default.

I’ve searched up endless articles and videos to try and troubleshoot it, but none have worked so far.

It may honestly be something as simple as it needing a better PSU. Minimum for the GPU is 550w. I have the bare minimum. I’ve ordered a 750w supply to try and fix it. But could honestly be something like a damaged motherboard. Which I fear it will be, but everything about it for me works fine

*old GPU was GTX 970

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 3 points

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

try this program to uninstall the GPU drivers,

my suggestion

enable the Intel onboard graphics, disable the nVidia card and try to do the uninstall of the driver

reboot a few times, then use CCleaner to remove any unwanted files from the uninstall

then download the latest nVidia driver, then reboot with the display back to the GPU

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I’m not getting past the boot up screen at all so don’t know if I’ll manage to install that program.

I’ll try onboard graphics.

I actually did use CCleaner to clear up my hard drive just before it happened. I’m Wondering if it’s maybe deleted a crucial file for the PC?

It’s really strange though, everything seems to be working inside

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Report back once you are able to remove the drivers when using onboard.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I’m not. I’ve managed to narrow it down to hardware issue. And it looks likely that it’s a motherboard problem. Tried and tested another motherboard and it worked fine with the other parts.

A small chance it could be a CPU fault, but in all likelihood it’s the motherboard.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thats a shame. Can you RMA the mobo?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I don't see any mention of what your old graphics card was. My guess is this sounds driver related. If you didn't have an Nvidia card in before you need to run DDU (display driver uninstaller) in safe mode. It's a program just google it. Then reinstall the correct Nvidia drivers.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Ah yeah, sorry. It was a GTX 970 before

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

And with the driver thing, they’re both Nvidia Graphics cards. I put the new GPU’s setup disc in the PC when I put in the new GPU. It may be a thing where they’re both conflicting. But again, I’m struggling to actually get on the windows boot manager.

Not to mention, I’m also pretty sure I put it on my SSD. I’ve wiped it and even put a new one in. There’s no luck with that.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

boot into safe mode, uninstall all nvidia programs and drivers and grab the newest driver off the website. The disks are always out of date. Surprised you even have a disk drive!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Been trying to do that, still no luck. Windows boot manager just blue screens after like 5 seconds. It’s really strange. The disk drive came with the PC as I bought it pre-built originally because I didn’t trust myself enough to go into the pc and change parts about without breaking something😂

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

So wait the disk came with the pc and the old gpu? If so its definitely out of date for the new one. It also shouldn't be blue screening in safe mode.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Generally, a BSOD is caused by the system dumping everything after one of the subsystems or drivers enters an infinite loop.

Have you tried clearing CMOS on the board? There might be a firmware-level issue that's causing a strange handoff to OS. If that's the issue, then you could at least boot into safe mode and then try the other suggestions in the thread

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

If it was mine i would reset bios to default, but ubuntu on a flash drive, boot from that. format hdd. try installing windows.

Test if itll boot linux live

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube