add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

6 core or 8 core for gaming pc in a dual pc setup

Alexsaurus_Reks
  • 3 months ago

Hello all, I’m a console pleb trying to enter the world of pc. I want to stream at some point, but I recently discovered the dual pc streaming method. I was curious about what processor would suit me best for the dedicated gaming pc. My thinking would be a rig to simply play games like Escape from Tarkov, pubg, Siege, etc. at the highest efficiency possible for $1100-$1200, and invest in a dedicated Streming pc later around November. But I’m curious if should go with a 6 core 3000 Ryzen series or a 2700x? If my pc isn’t going to be streaming, should I go for high speeds and forget the extra cores, or am I not understanding something right? I’m not that versed in pc terminology, so some explaining would be appreciated. Any advise would be very welcomed. Thanks guys!

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 4 points

Giving your uses I would go for a 2700X a little overkill for a dedicated streaming PC but keeps up with the newer 8-cored models when streaming+gaming on the same system.

Use that until you plan on adding a second PC this November and make your choice at that time if you want to keep the 2700X as the main system or move on to one of the newer AMD/Intel models which should be out by then.

That saves you a little now over investing in a 3000 series, and when you do add a second system leaves you ahead then by moving up to a 4000 series/10th generation whichever comes up ahead then.

Even on its own its a very competitive gaming CPU for the price.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-5-3600/15.html

[comment deleted]
  • 3 months ago
  • 1 point

If you stream with encoding on the CPU give yourself some wiggle room. Go with the Ryzen 7 2700X. Quite honestly unless AMD really deliver the good's on their Ryzen 4000 series (I expect a 10-15% jump over 3000) it would be debatable whether you would even need to upgrade at all. The Ryzen 7 2700X was and still is a very good CPU. Just pick a motherboard that gives you that option to upgrade, even if there is a good chance you will move onto something else when the need to upgrade arises.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

i wouldnt do the double streaming PC setup, if you get a turing card, it comes with the NVENC encoder and it uses minimal PC resources besides the dedicated encoder. much cheaper and much more effecient

[comment deleted by staff]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube