add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Quiet storage that isn't SSDs

PrivatePengu
  • 3 months ago

Hi PCPP

I've been looking to quiet down my PC for a while. I did some spring cleaning on it, redid some cable management, and took the time to check which part(s) of my build make the most noise; as I had expected, it's my HDD. After reading a bit on other people who shared the issue of wanting a quiet but cheap mass storage solution, I found the following tips to be the most common:

1. Make sure it's 2.5"

2. 5400 or 5900 RPM if you don't want an SSD

So, I come to ask if you guys have some more tips to add to this list, and also to ask if there is anything one should know before buying a 2.5" HDD.

Thanks in advance :)

Edit: My current HDD is this Seagate BarraCude 1 TB drive. While I'm at it, I'd like to upgrade to 2TB or above.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

can look here and see if something meets your needs. WD Blue 4TB is listed at 28.8dB(A)

https://nascompares.com/wd-seagate-hgst-toshiba-noise-level-comparison/

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

i'm not following your logic here. if you want more storage and want it to be silent, then you want an SSD.

2.5" hard drives are noisier than 3.5" drives, in my experience, due to the smaller motors.

SSD's are at a point that unless you need more than 1 TB of storage, it's not worth to buy a hard drive

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

The price difference between an SSD and an HDD is great enough to me that I don't consider that a valid option, especially in the long run

"Not worth" it to you might be totally worth it to me

I do appreciate the suggestion though

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

5400 rpm HDD are terrible because your access time and loading time will be slow.

there is no way you can have a quiet HDD other than a dead drive

1TB SSD are priced reasonably

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I have plenty of SSD storage for my games and/or important files, which is why HDD speed isn't a concern for me. If I'm downloading anything important that I need to access often and quickly, I'll put it on my SSD.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

A decent 2.5" SSD is the Crucial MX500. Near to performance levels of a Samsung drive without the Samsung price. MX though, not the value option BX. https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/h3tQzy,nF8j4D/

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Hard drive noise is a bit of a crapshoot. I've had 3 or 4 identical drives, back when I still had hard drives, and one would be noisy and the rest quiet. A 5400 RPM drive improves your chances given that you aren't too worried about performance.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube