add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

from i7 6700k to Ryzen 3700x

Mike.Heisenberg
  • 3 months ago

Hi everyone. I recently bought a Nvidia RTX 2070 super 8g. I do have this system: Intel i7 6700k (OC 4.7ghz) MSI Z170A M7 16 Gb RAM DDR4 I'd like to have your opinion if it will be worth for me to upgrade CPU and MOBO to a Ryzen 3700x. I do play on my 4k TV 60hz. Games like Dirt 2.0 I can play on medium/high right now but I would like to max the settings and I've read that my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU by more than 25%. thank you for your inputs.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 3 points

I do play on my 4k TV 60hz. Games like Dirt 2.0 I can play on medium/high right now but I would like to max the settings and I've read that my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU by more than 25%. thank you for your inputs.

It's more likely your being "bottlenecked" by your graphics card at 4k then a 6700K in that title.

It's very CPU light and doesn't scale well with threads, GPU is another story.

That's why its been a somewhat common GPU benchmarking title since it's actually hard to limit the results with the CPU.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

I've read that my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU by more than 25%. thank you for your inputs.

Any existing bottleneck wont really matter on a 60Hz monitor or TV. It will be a while before the i7-6700K will not be capable of meeting a 60fps expectation. My wife has the 7700K and every game I have tested or played ran beyond 60fps even demanding titles. If it takes one to turn down graphics settings to hit 60fps then you can be sure it is the GPU causing the issue.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube