add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

3600mhz Ram with Ryzen 5 3600x

jackslap
  • 1 month ago

In my pc i have 3600mhz ram with the ryzen 3600x. and ive seen a few people say 3600mhz ram makes the cpu slower or something. im just trying to see if it really makes that much of a difference.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Depends on the specific CPU and its silicon lottery luck for the memory controller and data fabric.

Some memory controllers can't handle memory that fast stable.

Some data fabric can't handle that speed at full data rate so revert to half data rate speeds.

Now the memory downclock isn't enough to worry about one or two stepping is barely enough to show margin of error differences on third generation outside of extreme memory limited uses.

Downclocked data fabric effects everything most noticeably in overall system response times since everything runs slower, storage, memory, I/O, PCIe, Sata, since all are limited to half the access.

So long as your running fabric clocks at full data rate speeds I wouldn't worry about it, if your running slower then data rate speeds then down clocking is going to gain you some performance and overall system responsiveness.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You have confused the heck out of me with these words. im just at average level of knowledge lol can you dumb this down? haha

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Sorry was shoveling snow.

AMD doesn't make a conventional CPU, everything communicates over a data fabric that runs at data rate (Half speed of RAM because of Dual Data Rate).

So you don't just have to worry about if the memory controller can overclock the memory that far since it is only rated for 3200.

But also if the data fabric can handle that speed.

Where this part comes in.

and ive seen a few people say 3600mhz ram makes the cpu slower or something.

Is when the data fabric can't handle running at that speed and automatically downclocks to half speed causing everything to slow down.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

So what they are delibaretly packaging questionably compatible components? Maybe Intel fanboys are onto something and people should stay away from the AMD...

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It's overclocking and silicon lottery not anything deliberate.

AMD only promises that their products can handle 3200mhz and mileage as always varies once outside rated specs.

3733mhz is AMD's best case in marketing materials for full speed.

3600mhz in practice is hit and miss depending on lottery, timings used, configuration of the kit, and how hard the memory interface is being used.

It's no different Intel side, there it may run a little faster but your also dealing with the 4th/6th generation of the same "Skylake" memory controller

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

And what about that Ryzen 3000 optimized Trident stuff? Ryzen optimized allegedly is and isn't a complete bullcrap.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

A 3600X CPU can usually be expected to be able to run memory at 3600 MT/s without downclocking the fabric. It's just that there aren't any real guarantees.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

So are you saying i should have went with 3200 memory to be sure

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

No, not really. You can always downclock the memory you have, if it turns out to be necessary, which I think unlikely. Memory rated at 3200 probably can't up-clock very much. So I think you did the right thing.

Just because the memory says 3600 MT/s doesn't mean you have to run it at that exact speed. It just means that that's the speed the memory manufacturer tested it at and expects it to be able to run at. You can always slow down. You probably can't speed up (much).

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

oh alright i understand now that helped alot, ill just adjust the speed if i sense it getting slower

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Download Ryzen Master if you don't have it already. Somewhere in there, I think on the home screen, there is a box labeled "Fabric Clock". If it's the same as 1/2 your memory transfer rate you're good. So for your 3600 MT/s memory, if Fabric Clock says 1800 then you are all set and don't worry about it.

I'm not sure where Fabric Clock displays because I don't have Windows running anywhere at the moment to try it.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Do you got it to work at 3600MHz?

If yes, you're good to go. There is no need to down clock it to 3200MHz (though you could), and a higher ram speed grants you some slightly better performance results, depending the application in question.

And you may wanna take a look at this below:

https://lab501.ro/procesoare-chipseturi/amd-ryzen-3000-part-iv-ddr4-scaling-english-version

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube