add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Time to upgrade a 6700k?

Die2day
  • 1 month ago

Pretty simple, I can’t really afford to rebuild my entire pc. I have a i7 6700k and currently using a single gtx 1070 for 1080p gaming. Is it time to upgrade my cpu or maybe my gpu? Occasionally I have some issues with my flu, finding a 100% load on rare occasions for certain games, but isn’t consistent. More or less, are either of these two components just outdated or in need of an upgrade?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Are you happy with the performance? Then don't upgrade.

Not happy? Find the reason and look for a decent upgrade depending on your budget.

None the less my personal opinion a i7 6700k with a 1070 should still be good for 1080p. But am not you and only you can make the descision to upgrade or not.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Unless you plan on only upgrading to a 7700K, you will require a new motherboard. The performance bump between the two is not worth it as even the core count is the same. Hold on to what you have and if you still want to upgrade something now, I would lean towards a newer, faster GPU.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

My i7 4790K overclocked to 4.6, GTX 1070 on a 1440p monitor No problems running any game at all!!!!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Running is one thing, running well is another. And everyone's definition of well is different, depending on the games they play and their goals within those games. I'm happily using a 4770k, but I mostly play 90's and early 2000's titles from GoG.com and one 7-year old first person shooter. If I was playing more modern and demanding multiplayer games I would want to upgrade.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

In all honesty the i7-6700k isn't a bad CPU and you can still game on it. If you can't afford the upgrade now then simply put don't force yourself to buy something you can't afford. A better idea is to save money on the side and put as much as you think you can force yourself to afford in said savings. Worst case scenario if you put too much into savings and need money to pay for a necessity like food or bills you can still take from that pot which keeps you in a better position than if you bought the hardware right away. Also got to hold yourself back from buying anything that isn't a necessity and the mind to know the difference lol.

Even the GTX 1070 is still a good GPU too. I am sure you can get a year or 2 more out of your PC for the time being. Save up money over the next 6 to 12 months and then look to getting a new system. Of course better stuff will be out then and if you happen to save up more than you need then keep the extra cash as a SHTF stash. It is always wise to keep a savings account with emergency funds in it when life decides to kick your butt.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Well, which component comes close to that 100% power limit?

Choose according to that.

Now if it's the CPU, the next best upgrade would be the i7-7700K.

However, keep in mind those CPUs are dirty expensive even if you buy them used.

And if you do that, you will still have a 4 core hyper threaded processor that will perform only a bit better.

So, consider that as well. :)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

either of these two components just outdated or in need of an upgrade?

If you are largely satisfied with the end result then there is no need to change anything. The day will come for an upgrade but whether it is now or in future is up to you..

Performance spikes on CPU's are common under load particularly if the PC is running other tasks. The i7-6700K is an old CPU- now in it's fifth year. Old does not mean bad or urgently needs upgrade. The GTX 1070 can and will struggle at 1080p for some gaming titles but for most it will be more than adequate.

At 1080p I think you can still get a couple of years out of this equipment. I would hold off upgrading if I could - not while we are so close to a new generation of PC gear. With Nvidia and AMD dropping new cards later this year and next year we will see DDR5 compatable boards and new chipsets from AMD and Intel I would avoid anything with Z390 or X570 if you can.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

The GTX 1070 can and will struggle at 1080p for some gaming titles but for most it will be more than adequate.

No way dude, you're making it sound like it's an entry level card which just about scrapes through or it's coming across that way. The GTX 1070 is a phenomenal card for 1080p gaming. Easily whips past 60fps even in the most intense titles on top settings. With a stock i5-8600K I currently get 70-110fps in a bunch of hot titles. Throw in a couple of soft tweaks in graphics settings and you're easily surfing on 120-140fps. Bad *** if you ask me!!!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I agree he has no clue I still have my 4790K older processor than the 6700K and have no problems with any game. Also running a 1440p monitor with my GTX 1070 again no prolems with any game.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

with any game ... addendum - > that you have played.

Generally a measure for a GPU is it's capability with "the most demanding games" without dropping frames below 60fps. If we are going to talk averages or a random spread of games, you will mow through most titles at 1440p with a 10 year old PC.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

1% low is the measure of games.

And no a 10 year old video card will play most games today's like crap in 1440p. 10 Years ago you would be looking at a GTX 580 that gets stomped on by a simple 1650!!!!

• 1 month ago
  • -1 points

There are over 100,000 titles on the PC alone. A 10 year old video card will play most of them. So will a dual core PC with HD graphics.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

1440p :(

I've been waiting to grab one for soooooooooooooo long now I'm beginning to hate the mention of 1440p

throwing fire on an already burning flame! Occasionally when I get friends staying over, to keep their dirty hands off my personal machine i whip out the 1070 and stick it in our home threatre system (Ryzen 1700 overkill). It's a 4K TV for heavens sake! It's not perfect but with some of the games we play with a little play in game settings, it does the job beautifully. So I can imagine how well the 1070 performs at 1440p .

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yep you can get spoiled quick. Been using a 1440p monitor for a few years and now 1080p is just crap.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Do not blow what I said out of proportion. There are over 100,000 PC games and 99.9% of them will be playable with a dual core processor and it's HD on board graphics. We are not talking about whipping through a bunch of games at high frame rates.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Yikes! I'm not blowing anything out of proportion.

So..... when someone so confidently suggests a part "can and will struggle" for "some gaming titles", this can be super dooper easily misapprehended in chase of seeking an upgrade. This is true even if the same someone further adds "but for most it will be more than adequate." When you put it like that, what you get is a just over the fence characterisation which is detrimental to the subjects capability. This can easily mislead the inquirer to seek a pricey and most likely pointless alternative. With a 1080p performance target, the GTX 1070 doesn't even come close to this type of portrayal, not in the slightest. Repeating the previous, it's a phenomenal card for 1080p gaming and does not deserve the grey area probability which is either non-existent or totally uncommon.

huh......... the 10,000 pc game and dual core integrated graphics spinoff doesn't help either. It makes no sense having walked into a car dealership to purchase a car and then realise the feet are equally adept. Undeniably, 10,000 miles on foot is hardly realistic. The GTX 1070 and 1920x1080 miles of pixel silver screen is exceptionally realistic.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

"blowing anything out of proportion" = my bad grammar/English sentences I actually used this phrase in incorrect context. "Misunderstood" would have been more appropriate to use in my description. Apologies since the way I wrote it could be seen as rude and that was not my intention.

GTX 1070 was released in 2016 it will be 4 years old this summer. While a fantastic card there are several titles released past 12 months or so that will not run at 60fps with highest settings at 1080p. This is of course expected - the old being supplanted by the new. It is subjective where to draw the line and it will be down to the individual user. Hence my advise - it is a good 1080p card but do not expect every game to play well at 1080p with it. That you can play the games you want at 1080p or higher with blistering fast frame rates means you chose the GPU for the games you like to play wisely. Another user with a different preference for games may have a different experience. This is not a one shoe fits all.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

No problem :)

re: dropping below 60fps. Yes, a tiny handful of games are unproductively optimised or use a couple of unnecessary bulged higher quality settings. This is not a problem. Poor optimisations are sometimes quickly sorted with updates or unnecessary higher quality settings can be adjusted without compromise. Speaking of graphics, I bet the epically boasted Cyberpunk 2077 will be floored with the 1070/60fps. Some trifling shift in game settings are likely but I bet the compromise is going to be too small to waiver real world higher quality objectives. I'll know for sure as CP 2077 is expected to launch soon and im confident my 1070 is GUNNA GUN IT DOWN IN THE TRENCHES.

[NOTE] DrLitch made no mention of upgrading the graphics card. The following is more for Die2Day's eyes but subtly relevant. Die2day is querying whether he should upgrade his GPU/CPU. My concern adds up to: as long as he understands the GTX 1070 is very capable and suitably matched for 1080p, it's all good under the hood! If he does decide to upgrade, I would delay that switch until next gen outclassing graphics cards which are expected soon. Current options are silly expensive and the performance worth is panty stretch out of ratio. Answering his initial question: No!!, her Majesty GTX 1070 is definitely not out-dated. She's very modern, sexy and carries plenty of fashionable flare for the full stretch of the one thousand and eighty progressive scan. I know coz i'm married to one :)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I have the same chip and i have no plans to upgrade anytime soon . It does everything i need it to do and very quickly at that .

I have never had any interest in gaming so that's something i never do . Everybody's needs are different , ask yourself does it get the job done for what i need it to do.

That will be your answer , relying on other people to tell you what to do usually doesn't work out that well , they're typically picturing what they would do if they had a 6700K .

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Occasionally I have some issues with my flu

Covid-19!? Run for the hills! :D

are either of these two components just outdated or in need of an upgrade?

Well they're a few years old now ofc but I agree with the general sentiment in the thread, you're largely fine for 1080p gaming still and some gfx settings tweaks can prolly help you get higher fps if your monitor is >60hz.

Oh I see your saved parts list, you've got a z series mobo and a nice air cooler, are you overclocking? That can help you get a little more performance out of the build.

2400 ram is kinda slow these days, intel cpus aren't sensitive to ram speed like ryzen chips are but faster ram can still help performance a little tho it's very game dependant iirc.

So I would prolly get some faster ram, 3200 is around the same price your 2400 was atm, and go for a cpu overclock if you haven't already and start putting money aside for an upgrade/rebuild in ~2 years time.

[comment deleted]
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I think you may have 1-2 years ahead of you at 1080p. Of course it depends on what kind of performance and preferences you have. Do you want to keep up with the latest AAA game releases? The next consoles will have zen 2 8C/16T cpus, so the 4C/8T 6700k will become more and more of a bottleneck going forward for new demanding games. When you do upgrade, I would definitely recommend upgrading both cpu and gpu, which would ultimately mean you would have to get a new motherboard as well. Either way I would wait, even if you had the money to afford a completely new build right now. Save up. We are pretty close to new chipsets, cpus and gpus probably all releasing by the year's end. The next question from there would be: What would you estimate budget to be? or How much would you be willing to spend?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube