add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which one is better for OCing CPU PBO auto turbo boost? or are they same thing?

yognying59
  • 3 months ago

I currently own a 3700x. want to know best and safest to over cpu for beginners, etc.

Appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Thx!

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

PBO removes stock voltage and loosens package power limits on the CPU forcing them to run faster so long as they remain under 60c thermal limits on the boost clocks.

Note: This limit isn't a throttling point but when the cores stop increasing clock speeds, thermal throttling occurs at 75c-85c depending on BIOS version.

Problem in practice with PBO is thermals increase with more voltage and power so you limit faster for no meaningful gains in clock speeds where it matters.

If you can manage to keep the CPU under thermal limitations you find the scheduling prioritization leaves little to no room for improvements.

Stock voltages are already enough to push the two alternating pairs of cores to their limits in lightly threaded workloads, and those cores being prioritized limits multi-core scaling.

Overclocking gains are limited to negative because the stock clocks themselves will already use as much voltage as needed so you can't safely force the cores to run faster.

AMD made these as plug and play for max performance out of box as could be done.

Easiest and best way to run one is check to insure PBO is Off on your motherboard as most default it to on, and add a better cooler, the CPU will do everything from there.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

dayummm, thanks for all of this info but can you simplify this some? im a novice - beginner=/

and i have a pretty beefy cooler in the Noctua NH-D15 chrome black max.

What should i do in terms of overclocking?

Should i turn off PBO as ive turned it on already?

What's the best option to go in terms of OC?

and what's auto turbo boost as many on here suggest? is that a good idea?

Let me know. Thanks!

You've been really helpful and i appreciate the feedback!

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Short version.

Use the NH-D15.

Turn off PBO.

Sit back and thank AMD for doing all the hard work for you.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

So, turn off PBo and dont do anything?

is that correct?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes.

AMD has killed off the days of free performance through overclocking by making the stock boost clocks push things as far as can be safely done with better control then any all core overclock can achieve.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

interesting. I didnt know that. ill disable the PBO.

Thank you for the feedback.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube