add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

ryzen 5 3600 vs ryzen 5 3700x

ianini
  • 1 month ago

hi guys

any of you expert video editors here have an opinion on the processors in title. ryzen 5 3600 is 183 eurs ryzen 5 3700x is 323 euros.

ie. is the 140 euro difference, nearly double worth paying for the performance gains when editing 4k video in davinci resolve 16 free version. Im not a professional and are just for my own personal projects.

anybody know what sort of performance gains one could expect for a 10 minute 4k video.

Thanks

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

2700X. Probably costs less then 3600, but has same amount of cores and threads as 3700X. Not as good as 3700X,better than 3600(in editing ). Well usually anyways.

That said,in Davinchi Resolve while CPU isn't completely irelevant, GPU matters much more than a CPU.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

here in EU the 2700x is around the same price as the 3600. yes the cores definately make a difference in video editing. hadn't thought about the 2700x ill check that out. to say the gpu matters much more than the cpu in davincina isn't quite true as it very much depends on what you doing. ie transcoding from one video format/compression to another depends very much on the cpu ie h264 to h265 etc. but definately the grafics card is used much for fx in davinci than say premier.. im thinking the performance gain for the 3700x at nearly twice the price probable isnt worth it . but ill investigate your suggetion of the 2700x

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

CPU IS important in Resolve, but GPU is more important. Everywhere I look they say so.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yeah i see those blanket statements as well, but as i said like anything in life it isn't quite that simple and it does depend on what you are actually doing at the time, it also makes a difference on whether you are using davinci studio (paid version) or free as studio can use the graphics card more. Im only using the free version.

I also hear blanket statements that an nvidea card is better than amd usually quoting the cuda cores while it is true that davinci has optimised its use of cuda cores but again isnt the whole picture as i hear use the 2060 over the 5700 but not taking into account the importance of video ram in davinci or whether one is using studio or the free version, difference in price and other things you may be using the computer for, its always a balance.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Radeon VII had reputation of being loved by pros.

Well there is always a chance that if someone takes Resolve to liking by using free version,that he or she might decide to pick up Studio.

Call me indoctrinated or something after big and small Youtubers and websites would make it clear that it relies on GPU more. But again no one said that CPU is irrelevant. On the contrary.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 1 month ago
  • 3 points

3600 is better in games, while 2700X is usually better in productivity. Or rather in multithreaded tasks, such as video editing. There are exceptions.

For games alone it's questionable to spend the extra for 3700X over 3600. However that depend on the budget. Those that need extra productivity performance, but aren't happy enough with 2700X and/or 3600 or Intel offerings ,yes they should buy 3700X if they can afford it.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

yes definately the 3700x is the better one for productivity. the question is is the nearly twice the price worth the extra gains in speed and usability when editing on the timeline as im not a professional the final render isn't the most important as ill just go to bed and let it do its thing :)

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

No,in gaming 2700X is NOT better. Watch benchmarks. In nearly all cases 3600 wins.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

sti16, gamesquire is correct the 2700x is definately not better for gaming than the 3600x in fact the 3700x is hardly any better than the 3600 for games. but im not interested in games the only person that may occasionally use it for games is my granchildren :) if i let them

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You accept what I tell you and what happens? Your upvotes go up by 2, while mine fall by 2. I stepped on some toes it appears...

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Wherever FX_8350_ goes,down votes for me follow. From 130 droped to 120. Not saying that he/she is responsible for all,but…

Sorry I meant 117.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

And now back to 126. Some posts may have been deleted that had been up-voted as well.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

No you are wrong. As I said to stuffsMike(I am not very good with names when it comes to perfect lettering,I know maybe 2 without problem),these things have a tendency to balance themselves out. There are examples of people giving upvotes for any post you make when they ask for help. Literally. I received approximately 20 down votes and 15 upvotes in just a few hours. So no big deal. I deleted few down votes,but I left most of them.

I was considering opening storage discussion with some evidence that in practical usage there is often very little difference in speed between various types of SSD. Such as cheapest SATA and Gen 4 NVMEs. But I don't want to open Pandora's Box. And also why bother? Every time I provide evidence about something,I am ignored.

This community is great when it comes to many things regarding computer stuff. It exceeded my expectations. But it is almost complete disaster when it comes to storage stuff. People seem to be so...enamoured by marketing and in practical terms usually pointless numbers.

It can be sad to watch.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

what are all these upvotes you are all talking about i assume you mean the little arrows just under each post. how do you know how many you've had. Is it that important as if you can tell i cannot see how any body else would know your score.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Well in that case the 2700X. It beats 3600 in proper multicore/multithread tasks.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

No, it just amuses me(most of the time)when I get downvotes for same thing every time. They think I care enough to stop certain things. I don't usually + they can be neutralized by erasing downvoted comments(which I do in just 5% - 10% of cases) I don't really care about the overall number.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You click your nickname and you can see your Comment Karma on the left. Everyone's really. Just click their nicknames. I usually don't care about that stuff(in 90% - 95% of occasions).

In theory it should prove some1s usefulness or something like that. The problem is that people often receive downvotes for most stupid of reasons and upvotes for often pointless of reasons, making it all but irrelevant.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube