add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best voltage for i7-9700k Overclocked to 4.0ghz? Does low voltage cause stuttering?

ChayHawk
  • 3 months ago

Current parts list if needed: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YGxbTC

Hi, I am new to overclocking, I never overclocked my 6700k, but I wanted to overclock my 9700k a little to at least get it to my 6700k base clock speed of 4.0ghz. I went into the ASUS UEFI Bios and changed the BCLK Frequency to 111.1 to get it to an even 4.0ghz speed, but I am unsure if i should change the voltage or leave it on auto? Will leaving it on auto be ok? I havent changed any other settings as far as i remember, I reset everything to its factory settings. I have been playing metro exodus, I just bought it a few days ago and have been getting stuttering here and there, random massive frame drops for like 1 second. Sometimes they are just like 10 or 15 frames (vsync on full).

I had the CPU clock at 4.9 ghz, and it was happening every maybe 15/20 minutes, sometimes it wouldnt happen for like 30 or 40. Mainly seemed like when it was loading a new area or something it would stutter. I didnt modify the voltages at all though, just left it on auto for that OC job too, but temps were fine, it was about ~48-57C while playing, and it didnt get higher than that even after 5 hours of playtime. So overheating cant be the issue. Also, Payday 2 and GTA 5 stutter sometimes as well, as well as some mouse input lag, so its not just metro. This all happened after upgrading from my Maximus VIII Hero Alpha and i7-6700k. Now I have the i7-9700k and the Maximus XI Hero.

I checked the power it was using and it seemed like it was drawing what it needed, but i was still experiencing frame drops in my games.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

The 9700K can boost up to 4.6Ghz on all cores by itself. Going to 4.0 on all cores would actually decrease performance

You don't adjust the baseclock to overclock the CPU. I mean you can but it can make other stuff unstable such as the RAM.

You should definitely adjust the voltage.

You adjusted the baseclock and didn't stress test. That is a no no. Always stress test to ensure your overclock is stable.

Here is a guide to overclocking.

https://www.tweaktown.com/guides/8481/coffee-lake-overclocking-guide/index.html

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube