add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

AMD Ryzen 3700x temp

ScTALE
  • 1 month ago

I will probably use a 3700x with stock cooler. I am not going to overclock it. Will the stock cooler be enough? What temperature should I except durign high load/gaming? Below what temperature should the CPU always be? I which case should I buy another cooler?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

3700x owner here.

I'd recommend trying the stock cooler first. There are other factors that can affect temperature; ambient temperature, voltage your motherboard puts through if you have it set to auto, mounting pressure, manufacturing tolerances, airflow in your case, etc.

There's also the issue of noise; my stock cooler sounds like a jet engine to me at high RPM needed to keep everything cool.

My experience hasn't been particularly great with the stock cooler and I'm upgrading, but I've also heard reports from people that are just fine with the stock cooler.

If you want a cheap upgrade, even a $20 tower cooler like the Gammaxx 400 will outperform the stock cooler. This can always be added later though if you don't like how the stock one performs.

Generally speaking "as cool as possible" is ideal; the cooler Ryzen runs the higher it will boost to a point. As you approach 100C it will outright thermal throttle.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The stock cooler will most probably raise the fan speed considerably, if your processor reaches a certain amount of workload.

If you want to keep the stock cooler, i would suggest to stress test the processor with some benchmark tools, keep an eye on the highest load temp you will get, and then adjust the fan profile within your motherboards bios.

I do not have the 3700X, but i own the 2700X that uses the same cooler.

After adjusting the fan curve to be less aggressive (that was the case on my boards default CPU profile), the fan will spin less keeping the CPU to reasonable operating temperatures, but will decrease the noise levels considerably.

And with reasonable temps, i mean not higher than 75°C at load and with the fan running no more than 50% of its full speed potential. And 50% applies to an estimated rpm of 1500.

Over 2000 rpm the fan noise starts to be audible and if it reaches 3000 rpm, the fan is noisy and honestly, not pleasant at all.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube