• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Lexxaa 56 months ago

So, I want to buy, Corsair CMY16GX3M2A186​6C9 Vengeance Pro Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866Mhz CL9 XMP Performance Desktop Memory Kit Black for my computer, because currently I only have 4GB of RAM and it's annoying me.

Currently as my CPU, I have AMD Athlon II X3 460. The problem is, will the new RAM work to its full capacity?

I was looking around the corsair website and it said that in my case this RAM would only run at a speed of 1066Mhz as I have 4 RAM slots in my Mobo and the new RAM sticks would fit into 2 of those slots.

It says so here: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-pro-series-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr3-dram-1866mhz-c9-memory-kit-cmy16gx3m2a1866c9 If you got to the "FAQ & Support" and then to "Corsair Memory Compatibility with AMD Platform" part.

I found this really strange, and it makes me unhappy. Is this true, or am I missing something? Because there would no point of spending that much money on RAM which wouldn't even run at that speed of 1866Mhz. Help Please ;/

Comments Sorted by:

BaSkA 1 point 56 months ago

Google is your friend: Supported memory: DDR2-1066, DDR3-1333.

I believe that, if your motherboard supports up to 16GB of RAM, the system will recognize all 16GB and it will work at 1333MHz.

I would not recommend it though. I would definitely get more memory similar to the one you have right now... or save some money for a future build!

Lexxaa submitter 1 point 56 months ago

Thanks.

My motherboard can support up to 32GB, so it's only the speed I was worried about. I've read about a similar problems and there seemed to be a difference of opinions. Some people said that you are able to overclock it to whatever speed it can run on and the CPU still will be stable. And that the "supported memory" is only a guide that indicates at which RAM speeds the CPU will be stable at. I am not sure how much of the overclocking part is true.

I don't want similar memory since it's outdated, but I am hoping to upgrade to a better CPU. I have an AMD FX8320 Black edition in mind, but I wanted to get better memory first. But even that CPU would only support 1600Mhz memory with 2 out of the 4 RAM slots taken up. I just find it strange, unless the memory can be overclocked?