add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need help choosing a cpu!

snipinheads

72 months ago

I am looking at two cpu's at the moment. I am open to all other kinds as long as they are around 200 or less. I am stuck between Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (BX80646I54570) and AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor. Which one is better and why? also does anyone have any suggestions about any other kind of processor?

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

well, the amd one is better regarding clock rate, and overclocking, but it does not perform as well as Intels do

so go with the 4570, i guess, or you could get the Intel i5 2500k used on amazon within your budget and have overclocking availiable.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004EBUXHQ

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Iwould rather not overclock the cpu and what about the 8 core processor?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

then if you want the best bang for buck, get the 8320

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok thanks

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

very welcome

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

The i5 is a faster chip, even though it has less cores.

Here is a comparison between the 4670k and an 8320 - http://anandtech.com/bench/Product/837?vs=698

The only difference between the 4670k and 4570, besides overclocking, is that the base clock of the 4570 is 200 MHz lower.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

i'd sayd fx 8350 cuz its 8 core. it is more future proof, and better at multi tasking. the i5 generally performs 3-7% better in almost all games, but in the future when games are going to demand more cores, this will be a lot better. you'll also be able to overclock it with a cheaper bopard rather than having to buy a special kind of board to overclock a 3570k or 4570. the fx is better for long term and is at least $70 cheaper factoring the boards and processor prices. and you can get 4.6 garunteed on an FX-8350. a 3570k will garuntee a 4.4ghz. fx can acheieve up to 5.2, althought moost stop at 4.9 and stale and no prob. i5 3570k can get.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Intel is just generally better

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

it all depends , i5 better single-threaded performance so gaming, and 8-core, well multi threaded. AMD does have a higher over clocking headroom but intel does more work per cycle so.... savings < 8320, same as 8350 just OC it and use the saved money towards a better gpu, ssd , or a liquid cooler. I personally prefer AMD because in turn the MOBO's are cheaper as well even higher end ones like the Sabertooth And Maximus Formula lineup. Just my 0.02.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok i think i'll go with the 8320 but i would like to keep the pc under 675. http://pcpartpicker.com/user/snipinheads/saved/1Wlo

Is there a video card that costs 25 less but in the same ballpark performance wise? Or a different card and maybe put a water cooler in it?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

What are you going to be using it for? Gaming?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

Then you don't need 8 cores. Haha, not at all. The only reason you would need extra cores, would be for things such as video editing. Go with the i5.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

/agreed 3570k = cost effective + oc'ing friendly. Using 8 cores + hyperthreading is utterly worthless when gaming unless you are looking for an epeen fix...LOL

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube