add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Noise level filter for CPU coolers

Zowayix
  • 60 months ago

I just discovered this site a day or so ago, and I have to say, this is one of the best things I have ever used. I'm not easily impressed, but in this case I am.

But anyway, I was looking for a CPU cooler for a HTPC build I'm planning, and unless I'm stupid (which is entirely likely) there doesn't seem to be a filter for noise level so you can't use that in a parametric filter, which is a shame, because those are quite useful.

On a related note (and I don't know if I should be starting a separate thread for this) I'd also be interested in seeing a parametric filter that lets you sort by other fields than price, so you can (for example) have it find the quietest cooler under $50 instead of only being able to find the cheapest cooler that happens to be compatible with everything else, which may be noisy. I don't know if that'd be overly difficult to implement, but it'd be pretty neat.

Comments

• 60 months ago
  • 3 points

If I understand what you're saying, I'm already able to accomplish a search the way you're describing -- kind of. The CPU Cooler page happens to only have one slider-bar "parametric" type search filter, which is for price range. Other parts pages have more than one parameter adjustable in that fashion. But after you set your max price on the slider bar in the left margin, look at the title for each stat column. You can click on each of those to toggle the sorting of the list top-to-bottom, as lowest-to-highest order, or high-to-low, for any one of those stats.

So, even though it's not really "filtered", you can at least ORDER the results by stated noise rating. Problem is, it sorts by the lowest value for each part, instead of the highest, which seems kinda like missing the point to some extent (i.e., I'm not concerned with the least noise it ever makes -- I'm concerned with the MOST noise it's gonna make). But that does kinda give you something to start with.

But the main problem, whether speaking of low or high end of the noise range for each part (for the ones that are variable/PWM), is that both of those numbers as given by manufacturers are notoriously unreliable anyway. Methodology of the measurement is everything, even if someone's not just being dishonest. The only reliable way to get an idea on relative noise performance is to look at test graphs from an independent reviewer, whose methodology is consistent, and stated clearly. No one of those guys usually have tests for more than a few of the coolers in question, so you have to basically search the whole internet for someone who's done an objective performance review of the particular cooler you're interested in, preferably with direct comparison to other well-known coolers with well-established reputations for (relative) silence.

Here I will curtail my comments, which if continued, would go rather off-topic for the site-feedback page of the forum. If you want my recommendations on best review sites, or just my votes for specific coolers, you could start a new thread in the Hardware>CPU Coolers section. Or message me. Not meaning to pretend great expertise, but I've been preoccupied with the CPU cooler noise/performance question for awhile, and have found good info available in certain places.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube