add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Advertising a PC building service

philip

77 months ago

Hi everyone,

Many people have expressed interest in building PCs for others. Some do it for fun, others do it as a business. I think this is great, and want to provide the right forum for it.

However, the goal of this particular forum category (For Sale Or Trade) is for buying/selling parts and whole systems, not the sale or advertisement of build services.

I definitely intend to provide an area where builders can advertise and promote their business or hobby, and hope to roll out something soon. The end result will be (in my opinion) something that better serves both builders and customers.

Cheers,

Philip

Comments

• 75 months ago
  • 12 points

I'd be really interested in someone either building my pc for me or sitting on skype talking me through it, either or is ok with me (I'll take all the credit when someone asks anyway :P )

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

i would happily build it for you if you are still interested?

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

if you want I could walk you through it on skype with you, if you are still interested pm me your skype

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 49 months ago
  • 3 points

Didn't see, my bad, lol :)

• 51 months ago
  • 6 points

omg minus 17 points lol

• 60 months ago
  • 4 points

what youtuber?

• 75 months ago
  • 6 points

I enjoy building PCs (as do we all) and I assume there's a small market of gamers who don't know how to build, but know enough to want custom builds. They would, presumably, be willing to pay a small markup for the service, but I question whether the portion of those who'd be willing to pay shipping on top of that is very large at all--and even how one would ship a carefully assembled machine.

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, most people buy from big makers like Dell. It's just a matter of being able to make a competitive PC for cheaper than them which isn't all that hard, after that you just have to get the word out.

• 67 months ago
  • 5 points

Hi Philip - any news on this? I'd like to offer a free service to people close by to me in the UK, and a medium for this would be great.

• 49 months ago
  • 5 points

Anybody Local to the Central or Upstate NY Area I would be more than happy to walk you through building one or do it for you. I Love Building Pc's lol. Also +1 for the extreme lack of micro centers or any other brick and mortar stores up here.

• 77 months ago
  • 2 points

Ah okay thanks! Yeh I was looking at my screen and I'm like why won't you work??? Lol. Thanks :)

• 77 months ago
  • 2 points

Maybe you need to call a technician. LOL :)

• 74 months ago
  • 2 points

What do you think wil be the expected fee. And would you be willing to do the bios, install drivers, and the OS?

• 68 months ago
  • 2 points

What's going on with this, Phil?

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

You see so many first time builders on this site such as myself who once thought they could never build a pc...and yet some beautifully executed builds are churned out daily by newbs.

Had so much fun learning and building my own pc, I dont see why anyone would want someone else to build their pc!!

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Ops sorry Philip. I though that my computer was glitching up or something and not letting me post it. Sorry!

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

It's perfectly ok - I hadn't posted anything about a policy, so I hardly expect you to be able to read my mind. :) I just want to make sure that you and the other builders who have posted know that I'm not against it at all, but that I want to provide a better and more efficient place for you to operate.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds great Phillip i love the site keep up the good work man!

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Seriously I wish I could have someone build an htpc for me and just ship the assembled build to me. That way it will be cheaper than buying all the parts separately.

• 76 months ago
  • 2 points

How so? The builder would likely charge you for all of the parts, plus a building fee, and then you'd have to pay shipping on top of that.

• 76 months ago
  • 6 points

yea this is always more expensive. No one works for free.

• 48 months ago
  • 3 points

I would work for free. Depending on the client.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

You're awesome, Philip!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I always get that build itch, so maybe this will ease my suffering! This is pretty awesome.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

what if im willing to buy the parts and then get someone to build it with the parts i bought i understand i would get a builders fee but its good when you want the best quality build

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds Awesome, I know so many people who are scared of building their own PC and buy from dell and all the rest with rubbish parts under the hood.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

i would love this but can their be different ones (eg uk and usa and canada)

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm interested in building a high end gaming PC. Can someone local to the LA, CA area help me please?

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Anyone live in New jersey and would build me a pc if i gave them the parts

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

hey im in the boston area and was wondering if anyone could build my pc or talk me through it via skype

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I live in beverly around boston, i can build a PC for you!

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Is there anyone in Arkansas that builds pcs?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Where in Arkansas?

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

is there anyone in nc that can build gaming pcs

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey guys I'm building PCs for people who don't feel comfortable building it themselves and are afraid they might break it i build them for friends and family already but I need some money to upgrade my own. I charge 10% of the main hardware for example processor, graphics card, and Storage, I charge 10 dollars to install an OS. I'll test the parts of it's all working on the MOBO I will put it all together install the os and download all the drivers. After its all done and working I will factory reset it so you can set up the OS to your preferences. And send it back! You pay for shipping because I still need a profit :) I'll also add to any current build you own for 10$ a part.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi fuzzy-pickle if you want to my new thread supports people like yourself come by it and see if it's right for you! It's in general discussion.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I would also be happy to build a PC for anyone in the UK. I'm based in Scotland so people, who are near, might not even bother with delivery charges.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I am definitely for it but lots of people can use Craigslist to sell their custom computers

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey guys im willing to build anybody a pc. Just buy the parts or I can and ill do it for 25 bucks. Course there is also the shipping. Not sure how much that would be. Anyway if you need help or want a PC built just let me know.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I did a google search for custom PC builders and I found this thread. Was this ever setup?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

We reviewed it but to date we've opted not to set it up. What we have right now is an over-supply of builders, a limited amount of resources to vet them, and then an even more limited amount of people wanting systems built. So we could set things up, but I don't think it's a good fit right now.

• 54 months ago
  • 3 points

That's actually rather unfortunate.... Though it's actually kinda funny really. This website is kinda a direct contradiction to a PC building service... It provides compatibility notes, has guides on how to build Pc's... it list all the pricing... I find that funny.

Unfortunate though... I would have liked to see a PC building service.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you sure about the lack of demand? While I admit the current users of the site may be in this category, if you were to provide this relatively simple service, it would mean a lot of influx from the rest of the internet, as no one else (AFAIK) allows for completely custom build services like this.

• 51 months ago
  • 2 points

Indeed, if someone wants to have something built then they wouldn't sign up for an account here if they didn't see any services up front. I think that there is a rather large market if you can actually advertise to them

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Is there such an area yet? I mean, is that a forum for this? I have not seen one, but I am interested in getting a build done for me or getting assistance, and while some popular places do this (NCIX, iBuyPower, etc.), their idea of "custom" is very limited.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

This site still does not have such a location for system builders yet.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

I am wanting a Plex home media server to replace my Netflix service. I was hoping to use windows because I have no experience with Linux. I am looking for something quiet, 24/7 running, very large storage capacity as cheap as I can get it without it becoming junk. Please shoot me an email at larry_thompson@ymail.com if you can help me out. Thanks!

[comment deleted]
  • 74 months ago
  • 2 points

take it off

• 66 months ago
  • 3 points

Which item of clothing would you like me to start at? .... This is the wrong site isn't it... Oh boy...

[comment deleted]
  • 52 months ago
  • 2 points

The biggest barrier to getting some random person on the Internet to build you a pc, no matter how many people are willing to do it, is trust, because it alot of money going to someone you've never met!

I think the biggest barrier is that building a standard PC is simple. Handful of screws, slot some stuff in... It's really more like an Erector Set or LEGOs.

Not to mention by having someone else assemble the computer, you have the possibility of man-in-the-middle attacks, which can compromise information quite easily. Even moreso if the end user isn't aware of such a thing being possible, most likely due to a lack of computer knowledge which put them into this spot in the first place.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

This will be checked when pcpartpicker check the computer is built.

Wait, so that's what, 3 different shipping trips? Parts to builder, built to PCPP, PCPP to buyer? Who is going to cover that?

Still think that could leave some vulnerability. PCPP (or whoever) might not check everything or the builder may use something that is not known to the checker.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

The Free Shipping is usually the "it gets there when it gets there" choice, not really a great option for a company... I doubt Prime (or similar) would work as it's a company buying the parts, not an individual, and would probably require working with their business divisions. Not to mention some parts that get extra shipping charges due to their size or weight...

Speaking of the shipping time, if it goes by the cheapest path, that could be another week or so in shipping... Even more if a part or two needs to get shipped from a different warehouse...

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube