add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Some advice for Newcomers

Godzlegend1

55 months ago

Hey guys!

I have some tips/tricks of the website that will help the new comers! It's a decent list comprised of my own experiences. Users are welcome to add some of their own! (obviously in the comments...)

Please state intended budget!

Maximum/Minimums are nice however as you and I both know you really don't want to spend the absolute max you can, so it's easier to know your max budget but state your intended budget a little lower. This way you leave room for any other charges or it may just surprise you that you can get good performance for cheaper!

Always be prepared for differing views...

I know guys it might seem overwhelming with so many different people saying contradictory things but that's the nature of the trade. People will be biased towards products! I suggest you take our advice then do follow up research in your own time! That way you get our advice and you get knowledge that you obtained!

Don't reject advice.

unfortunately I have seen this happen a few times. When you come here asking our advice you can be damn sure we'll do everything we can to help you! However, it can get hard/unbearable when the person we're trying to help is constantly second-guessing us. I completely understand wanting to get the most information possible, and I think that shows great forethought into the process of computer building however, some people on this website will know more than you and sometimes it's just best to listen to what they say whether or not you completely agree with their statement. In your own time do your own research and then most of the time you'll realise they knew what they were talking about.

Remember that the process of computer part selection is harder than the building process itself.

You may think you're an idiot for not knowing what a 'Z97' board is or what a mosfet is or why corsair coolers are junk! That's okay, we completely understand! We're here for your benefit and we'll welcome you with open arms ready to help teach you!

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." - Confucius

Ask as many questions as you see fit.

Whilst second-guessing can be annoying. Not knowing enough is much, much worse. Always be ready with questions about certain things even if you don't know how to phrase them quite right! Most of the time we'll completely get what you're saying and be able to help you much more then if you just agree 100% with what we're saying! Again, questions are good! Just not repeated questions.

Never be afraid to say something stupid.

This applies to newbies and veterans! If you want to answer a question but think 'oh.. nah this is probably wrong/stupid' Don't! You answer that question! Because even if you're wrong someone else will come along giving the correct answer and then both you and the OP gain the knowledge you both wanted/needed! Remember

"Humility and knowledge in poor clothes excel pride and ignorance in costly attire" - Wlliam Penn

“It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt”- Mark Twain

What I mean by this is, don't come into these forums saying "I want an Nvidia Gpu and an Intel Cpu because they are better" (That's an example.. it obviously applies to other things) basically don't state that when asking for advice. Many, many products are actually very good quality even if they aren't '5 stars'. Don't make yourself look stupid before people have had the chance to even read your post. I wanna tell you guys something. If that's in a post, I'll completely skip over it. I'm dead serious... I'll skip it!

Stars and numbers are but a falsely loved god.

Going off ratings for computer parts is the worst Mistake you could make! Many, many users do this so don't feel bad you are most certainly not alone in this regard, however it's still something that must be said. The reason it's bad because Highly rated products are with out a doubt voted so highly when they were released or when something better didn't exist at the time. With computer parts evolving every day, staying up to date is much more important then going by most popular. Famous Youtubers do this and I'm sorry to break it too you, people like AngryJoe and TotalBiscuit (I love TB) Don't know much about hardware ( I'm not claiming they claim they do) so don't take their advice when it comes to this.

A forum for knowledge? yes A forum for all knowledge? No

This Website is absolutely amazing, I love the staff members and the community and they are some of the best people on the internet however.... This doesn't mean what we say is fact. Inherent unconscious bias exists in every human being and even more so with people like us! This is why Your own research is vastly important!

"Fortunately for serious minds, a bias recognized is a bias sterilized." - Benjamin Haydon.

It's your money!

We might give you the greatest advice in the freaking world! We might all sing in unison about how this product is absolutely the best you can get, we might tell you that this product is the best that money can buy. What we can't do is tell you how to spend your money. It's up-to you to follow our advice. If you don't that's perfectly fine and we here at PcPP don't resent the users who choose to do so. Sometimes taking our advice could potentially be the worst thing you could do. Pc building used to be about the love of the process, the love of the components but now it's devolved into building a PC because it's cheaper. Don't get me wrong there are many, many people who do it because they have a passion for it, just not as much anymore. So when you do something your own way, you may fail but take that as a step closer to success not a step backwards.

"mistakes are the portals of discovery" -James Joyce.

Bottleneck? Yea... **** off.

Now i know sometimes you'll get scared when user start stating "this i3 will bottleneck this r9 295x2" and you'll think "oh, ****! I better balance this out" then spend more money on something or get a worse gpu. The reality is the term Bottleneck is used a **** ton yet understood very, little. 'Bottle-necking' is a term used when one component adversely affects the performance of another. This does not mean a bottleneck is a horrible thing. A 'bottle-necked' i3 with an r9 295x2 will still perform better then an i5 and r9 280, even though a 'bottleneck' is present, the only time this wouldn't be true is when the game is heavily CPU-based (and this is quite a few). Do note however that the cause of performance loss is still not the fault of the 'bottleneck' but the limitations of the cpu itself.

So in summary

Hardware limitations are not ( and I stress this) are not bottlenecks.

“Any fool can know. The point is to understand.” - Albert Einstein.

More Vram Does not equal more performance!

Now I know what you're thinking but Godz!! I want a 4gb card so I can run all of those excellent AA's or I wanna run 4k therefore I need 12gb of vram! **** YOUUUU You're ******* wrong! A 4gb card is generally a must for 4k gaming yes, I can agree with that. However there is a difference between a 4gb card (gtx 960 4gb) and a 4gb card (r9 290x 4gb). They are both 4gb? They are both powerful gpu's (okay... well, that's a stretch for the 960 but still) and they both can game at 4k (once again a little tiny stretch for the 960) The difference? ONE'S A ******* GIANT SCAM ******* YOUR WALLETS! Ahem.... I mean. One card (the gtx 960) Can't actually utilise all 4gb of vram (Well it sorta can...) it's not strong enough to fully utilise the vram in situations where the Vram was needed like 4k gaming or DSR. Therefore making it completely useless.

This doesn't just apply to the gtx 960. Oh no. It applies to the gt 740, gt 730 and AMD is a **** also, don't worry about that!

Nvidia

The 4gb Gt 740??

The 4gb Gt 730??

AMD

The 4gb r7 240???

The 4gb r7 250??

The 4gb r9 270x???

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -Aristotle

Summary

Now that's out of the way! I know it's only ten and i hope other users help add to this but I think I covered the main points! Feel free to openly critique this if you so desire! I hope people see this because i think it's valuable.

TL:DR (even though you should)

• State your budget clearly with a clear indication of your absolute max and your recommended price.

• Be prepared for people to have different opinions then each other, it's a fact of life people do different things.

• Don't be an ******* and reject the free advice given to you.. it's common courtesy to accept any and all advice.

• Thinking and selecting pc parts is often much harder than the building process. Just give it some time and you'll end up very happy with the final result.

• Asking many questions will get you to your answer quicker and with much more clarity then if you asked none.

• We all look like a moron sometimes, so don't be afraid to be the same especially when money is a concern, ask the question.

• “It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt” That's it really.

• Generally reviews are not an accurate representation of a product and I suggest taking them with a grain of a grain of salt.

• We don't know everything, don't expect us too. Other forum users from Tomshardware or reddit may know more so it's better too consider all options.

• It's our advice but it's your money. Buy what you want whether or not it's because what we suggested because at the end of the day, you're spending the cash.

• The term bottleneck is thrown around yet rarely applied properly. My suggestion is that you shouldn't worry about it at all.

• The amount of memory is not an acceptable or even reasonable way of dictating or evaluating performance. Just don't.

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

This needed to be said. Many thanks for taking the time to type this!

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

Bravo

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

Bumping cos' I can and it's still relevant!

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I have second guessed people who gave me advice mainly because after doing hours of research sometimes you know that that pertain is wrong...

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

after doing hours of research

Which is exactly why I said to do your own research....

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

It can be very useful when someone says "this is better than that" when really it's not...

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Mhmm.... Unfortunately just like Blasted said... this 'guide' won't really be seen by the people it's focused towards.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah sadly... Time to create a new account and SPAM it Lol, jk

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Heh.....

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

you my good sir deserve a cookie!

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

wish i had this when i first got here haha.

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

So do we all

XD

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Just to play Devil's Advocate (and have some fun).

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." - Confucius

Said right after hitting a car at an intersection and before he gets punched.

"Humility and knowledge in poor clothes excel pride and ignorance in costly attire" - Wlliam Penn

"Unless Humility and Knowledge want to get into that kicking club down the cobblestone road; that bouncer is strict" - William Penn.

"Fortunately for serious minds, a bias recognized is a bias sterilized." - Benjamin Haydon

Except for a Bias against Biases... Boy, what a Biased man he was, not recognizing his own bias...

"mistakes are the portals of discovery" -James Joyce

Famous Last Words, 492357th Edition. (Go ahead, get a 1000w Diablotek PSU for your 3000$ PC...)

“Any fool can know. The point is to understand.” - Albert Einstein

"I understand why my car keys are missing. I just don't know where they are..." - Albert Einstein

One thing I would love you to cover is: How do you get those horizontal lines?

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

It's been said before ( Ones Who Need It ) won't see it. Good work legend must have spent some time typing.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea unfortunately.... however it helps others as well. Thanks for the support!

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I was like wow this thread got a lot of replies, then I remembered...

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe something to add:

When a user helps you or replies to your post, please use the "reply" link directly beneath their comment so that they can continue to help you. Otherwise, they will never even know you responded to them, which will mean that they can't help you any further.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Has pcpartpicker hired you yet? They should. Good write up.

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

Still waiting for the email back ;)

Thanks man! Any critique is welcome as well!

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

It's been edited for some lazy people.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Yay for the lazy peeps!

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

In very rare situations, more vram actually does help.

For assassins creed unity, a 4 gb 960 did 3-10 fps better than a 2gb 960

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

More Vram Does not equal more performance!

The statement is more about how just because the card has a bigger frame buffer that doesn't mean it's a better performing card :)

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

I see, so our statements do not conflct each other.

Nnnnniiiiiiccccccceeeeeeee.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

What is a mosfet?

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Cool

• 55 months ago
  • 0 points

your list is too long, no new comer will read this or even read the forum rules. :)

Make it bullet point and to the subject.

Like, "Top ten mistakes before you make your first request"....

Your swearing will turn off the newcomer that just might read this. If this is your experience fine, but if you want to actually help a new comer, I would have taken a whole different approach. Including references would give your topic much credit.

It took time to write this, but I didn't read much of it :(

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

your list is too long, no new comer will read this or even read the forum rules. :)

Well... If you count this as too long then.... I don't even know.

Make it bullet point and to the subject.

i like an explanation for each point, it allows me to fully explain.

Like, "Top ten mistakes before you make your first request"....

But these aren't top ten mistakes... or even a top ten of anything.

Your swearing will turn off the newcomer that just might read this. If this is your experience fine, but if you want to actually help a new comer,

Well, this is a mature environment and if someone is turned off by profanity that's why there is a filter.

I would have taken a whole different approach. Including references would give your topic much credit.

Well ,you're welcome to do your own.... Also reference to what? These are just past experiences.. you can't expect me to remember every encounter.

It took time to write this, but I didn't read much of it :(

Well that's your decision. Others will and have read this.

• 55 months ago
  • -1 points

That was my point, you have a misleading subject. Your experiences, vs newcomer suggestions.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

It's not misleading..... It's helpful hints

I have some tips/tricks of the website

granted the wording of 'tips/trick's was a little crazy but I figured most people would understand.

Your experiences, vs newcomer suggestions.

But these are great for newcomers.....

As I said if you have anything to add then you're more then welcome to make your own list.

• 50 months ago
  • 0 points

Hey guys, I'm new to PC building and want to build a very,very ,very small computer,that can game of course, is this good? [REMOVED] Yes I want it in a case that small,so I can take it on the go... Any upgrades I should make? P.s. (˘︶˘)/ do u like it 1-5

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Please make your own post in the part list opinions wanted forum. Also, we do not allow link shorteners here.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

ok, sorry i didnt know

[comment deleted]
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Well.... I can't spam it everywhere.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Sure you can ;)

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

Manirelli will never know... ;)

Mwuhahahahaha.

[comment deleted]
  • 55 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm glad I had an influence! I hope you have fun building/gaming!!!

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
[comment deleted]
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube